Sunday, April 13, 2014

How did you learn to crochet?


My mother's mother, Dorothy Jewell Bates taught me to crochet. She crocheted all the while I knew her.  The above picture is of my grandmother holding my mother.



Here she is at my parents' wedding with all of her children: Nadine, Robert, Kathleen, Irene, Kenneth, David, Ronald, Mark, Doreen and William and here new son in law, my father, Dale.  My mother is the oldest of ten.  


My mother said that my grandmother never used a pattern.  She made doilies, blankets, bed dolls, toys, Christmas ornaments, shawls, and much more.  Here are two shawls she made for my mother who has passed them along to me.



She had many children and grandchildren.  As far as I can tell, she made a blanket for each one of us.  Mine is a sweet hot pink and light pink granny square blanket with a crazy daisy in the center of each square.  There is fringe all around.  My brother's is a granny American flag blanket.  My Aunt Kathy has a beautiful poinsettia blanket.   


Somewhere along the way, when I was young, she taught me to chain stitch then single crochet.  It was years before I tried again.  Grandma had already passed on.  Even though she is gone, her passion lives on in me.  She is always with me through crochet.  I think of her each time I pick up  hook and yarn.  She is missed, but I enjoy the craft she has passed on to me.


I am trying to pass along her love. 



No comments:

Post a Comment