Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Why I Do What I Do


You may have wondered why some time around the Spring Break of this year, an Etsy gadget showed up in the right column of my blog.  You might wonder about the pincushions and the patterns.  I have not really mentioned much about this new venture.  Life has been full of teaching and teaching extra classes to make ends meet. I just did not have time to give the shop the attention it deserved.  I will be busy working the shop this summer.

 


For some time now, I have wanted to open an Etsy shop and create something of value to share.  I want my life to be more creative and I want to share that creativity.  I want a creative life.

 


I took some of what I love - sewing, pincushions and thrifting -  and created meaningful notions in my life.


Also, you might have caught on by now that my daughter, LibbyLu, is both a school and competitive cheerleader and as the years go by and she gets better and better, the bills for such a sport, and the activities associated with it, get more and more expensive.


It is my hope that making and selling pincushions and cheer bows will ease burden and I hope my small cottage business will help her follow her dream and reach her goal of being a big time, stinking great, super duper, college cheerleader.



When she was five years old, she broke her arm on the kindergarten playground.

 
I watched her fall.  It was agony.  This is her artistic rendering of the event.  I am in the picture, too.  See?  I was too far away to catch her.


Soon after the trauma, she drew a picture of a little girl in a hospital bed.  Of course, the little girl had a broken arm, but this little girl is not LibbyLu.  LibbyLu is the orthopedic surgeon - with one great cheer ponytail.  She told me that when she grew up she wanted to be a cheerleading orthopedic surgeon.  Now, this is what I call the essence of feminism - choice.


In the meantime, I will keep making and selling cheer bows, pincushions, and other creative fun while working toward whatever dream LibbyLu chooses to follow.

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! All the very best with your Etsy store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all of these pincushions. You are so wonderfully creative.

    So, if LibbyLu still hopes for a cheer scholarship, that must mean her hip problem is less?

    cm

    ReplyDelete