Sunday, April 1, 2012

Chicken Scratch, Dishes, and Aprons


I am not a big fan of buying dishes all matchy-matchy, and love that my dishes come from thrifty places and make my kitchen sweet. Yes, my plates are all blue and white, but there are a few different patterns included to make up a mismatched set of dishes I love.

However, over the years I have been known to appreciate some patterns available in the retail stores. I have liked Summer Breeze and Blue Meadows by Pfaltzgraff.

I am attracted to the new pattern: Bright Bouquet.

Not long ago I rescued a small bowl from the Summer Breeze line. It is perfect for a pincushion and reminds me of the mixing bowls my great-grandmother may have had in her kitchen. Of course, like all good women Great Grandma Vanchie wore an apron each and every day.


My favorite kind of apron is made of gingham. I own too many to count and that's okay. Right? I love the stitching on these aprons, the traditional Chicken Scratch. My favorite window treatment is made up of aprons. Don't they make my baking kitchen look vintage and wonderful?


I decided this little bowl needed to fit my memories, my love of gingham domestic dress, and and my desire to learn a new skill. So, here are the beginnings of my Chicken Scratch stitching.



5 comments:

  1. I love the idea both of using mismatched thrift find dishes (we are moving soon and need new dishes, and I will have to steal this idea!) as well as the apron window treatments! I'm a newer follower and I just wanted to let you know I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that those apron window treatments are just darling and so original. I'm a fan of mismatched dishes, but my husband - not so much. So mine are matched and Corelle at that - you know the kids might break them or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad I am not the only one that doesn't like mismatched dishes. My problem is I love all dishes. So I have Franciscan Desert Rose dishes, I have an Autumn Boquet print for my serving platter, soup bowl and pitcher and 2 blue and white pieces for serving.
    Love the curtains, I just may have to borrow that idea. A new follower from Threadgathers post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i agree! not a fan of matching. if you love them all, they will all "go" together quite happily.

    ReplyDelete