Saturday, March 31, 2012

Handpainted China Pincushion


Maybe it's just me. Maybe I am just getting old. I don't know, but I walk the aisles of thrift stores with a different mindset than I used to. I am looking for the lost, the orphaned, the needy. I often find familiar items, sewing boxes, broken cardboard boxes of patterns, or a knitting basket, and it all makes me melancholy. Will this be what happens to my creative stuff? Will my grand children's friends find a booth with my stuff - lost, orphaned, once a treasure? Sigh. I save what I can and try not to think of the rest.


This pincushion was just one of those pieces. A china painting artist took great care in placing these flowers just right. I'd like to think that as a pincushion this little cup's life is lengthened no longer to sit on a shelf in a thrift store or being risked each time it is taken off a shelf to fill with tea. It is repurposed into a wonderful tool for another kind of artist, a needle artist.


This remix was a challenge for me as I had to work outside of my color comfort zone, but I think I am pleased with the results.


Do you ever wonder where your creative life will end up once you are finished with it? Are you passing on your craft? Your art? Let's commit to doing so.


7 comments:

  1. Your cup reminds of a tea cup and saucer that my grandmother painted. When everyone went through her house after her death, it was left there because according to the greedy relatives it had to monetary value. Well, that set has become one of my prizes possessions and I hope that my daughter will take it when I leave this earth.

    I always wonder where my things will end up - with the kids, at the Salvation Army, in the trash? I try not to think about it but hope that someone will see the value that is in these items and the time involved to do them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly you did a beautiful job with the tea cup and and your story was beautiful. You need to print it out and tape it to the bottom of the cup so if the pin cushion teacup gets lost the story might touch someone's life someday. Love you much, Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice. I agree with your sentiments completely! Much of what you saw growing up has manifested itself in you and you do it very well. Mom says so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your thoughts and love the pincushion too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am more moved and saddened by the number of old photographs in the flea markets. Not just old snapshots, but formal portraits and beautiful wedding photos in wonderful frames, now propped up behind some old vacuum cleaner or stacked in a crowded cardboard box. Also, there are baby pictures, and photographs of grandparents, sitting there alone, unnamed, forgotten. Sometimes they have writing on the back, with names, and that seems sadder still. It makes me want to rescue them to discover their history, and their family story, then track down the progeny who let the treasure end up in a flea market in the first place, then smack them with an old vacuum cleaner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Once upon a time I even USED a pin cushion!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep, I have wondered what will happen to my creations. I'm guessing though that God has made enough of us like-minded individuals that someone will rescue our handmade items if our family members aren't interested.

    I love your pincushion. I make some out of wool to place in teacups. I'm a new follower joining from Vintage Thingie Thursday.

    ReplyDelete