Thursday, January 5, 2012

Lesson One - Pink Hearts and Fleur de lis


After all of these years, I am finally learning how to applique. I know this amazing, and fabulous, teacher. I am so very lucky to learn from this master quilter and have even managed to finagle private lessons. I have her all to myself. It's all about me. Now, this is no small deal. This woman teaches all over the United States. Over the years, you may have seen he here, or here, or here, or even here. You will definitely find her here next fall. Did I mention she is also my mother? Her favorite genre is Baltimore Album quilts. Here is a taste of what she has done.




Oh, and this brown and pink beauty is all mine. She made this wonderful award winning quilt for me. Lucky me! Are you jealous? That's all hand applique and hand quilting.


Now clearly, by the looks of my little, single heart, I have a long way to go. The fabric still feels awkward in my hand and the needle does not always do what I demand in my head. Hopefully, my stitches will begin to hide better and I will actually manage to get the lines in the seam allowance. Cut me some slack. I have only had one lesson. I pressed, cut, traced, and traced some more, listened and just began stitching. I am so excited. Mom was patient, but I am a bit neurotic and it tends to really show when I am learning new things. She might have wanted to smack me on the head once or twice, but I never would have known. Lesson Two is next week. Yikes! I have a lot of homework to do between now and then.

6 comments:

  1. This is so funny. For all the crafty things I have done in my life, I could never get my daughter interested, though she pounced on the fruits of my labor. When she was a teen, we took different classes together. We had a great time, but still little interest.

    Maybe I should show her your post ~lol~

    Bet your mom is proud as a peacock.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!! Your mom is an incredible quilter!! I have managed to piece one top, it was a sampler pattern, but haven't actually quilted it yet. Good luck with your endeavor!

    Blessings

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is a kind and patient teacher. She always made me feel like I had it in me to do anything!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, your mom is a very patient teacher as well as being a master teacher. Whenever I make my attempts at applique, I think of her and all the classes I took from her here in California. Her quilts are always amazing whether applique or pieced. ENJOY!!!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck Kelly. I love the winrwe primitive quilt to the left in the second photo. Is that one of your moms? Do you think i would be able to find out the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly! What a lovely blog you have, I love it! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Your mother's quilts are nothing short of amazing! I am sure you will be just as good in no time! Have a great week. Hugs~ Irene

    ReplyDelete