Monday, January 2, 2012

Have you found your niche?


I am one who struggles to find her niche. I am forever defining who I am, what my style is, and where I want to go. Over the past ten years, I have settled into a niche here and there. I know what I love in homes - wide moldings, stories, color, and a studio space. I still struggle to pull it all together and am combing blogs daily for some one look that hits me just right.


I pretty much know who I am clothing wise. I love the femininity of the fifties, the skirts, the fabrics, but put it together with an artsy bent. In other words, my style finds it perfectly acceptable to wear Mary Janes every day except the days I wear high tops, leggings with skirts, and always a shawl because I just can't stand a heavy coat. For reasons I can't explain, I also wear a good deal of black and gray in the winter months.


I have certainly found my niche in cooking. I love to bake. I love to eat what I bake. This might be enough said.

My niche in the world of careers is teaching. I am comfortable there, in the classroom, but struggle with the academic politics and do not play that game well as I do not want to play that game at all. I struggle in this place at times. During the struggles, I wonder what other niche I might be able to fill.


In my creative life, I struggle. My niches are multiple. I like to sew, knit, embroider, crochet, cross-stitch and paint. This is not a bad thing, but I worry that I will not excel at one for the many that I enjoy. I do not have a niche. I like it all as my mood moves me from one kind of project to another. I continue to explore to find that one thing I can really become good at like my mother. Have you seen her work? You should drop by her blog and say hello. She has a niche that will amaze you. Here is some of her work...


Along with my need to find a creative niche, I am having an identity crises. You may have noticed if you have been by in the past couple of days. See the new banner? Hate it. I have struggled with my online identity for some time. I would like to find one to stick with. My first identity was created in Word...


My second was almost this...


But, ended up this....


What will I do? Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. One thing I've always admired about you, Kelly, is that you are so hard to define, so difficult to label, so full of surprises. It is fascinating and endearing. Knowing some of your past, it is pleasing to see how you try on new things, how you explore options that haven't always been yours. You describe it as struggling. I see it as growing. Good for you. I hope it never stops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niches are hard to find. We are not two-dimensional beings with set patterns. We are complex beings with many individual influences that form a very unique personality.

    For years I kept looking for mine and then found that my niche was right in front of me. Hobby farming, building things, writing and even more esoteric pursuits like philosophy or theology.

    Keep going. It is not the destination that matters; it is the journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Josh,

    I hope that you are well. Thank you for your comment. Every now and then I have a whiny post and looks like you found one. :)

    I am happy to hear that you have found a niche or two. I am sure you right, the solution is likely right in front of my face.

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete