Monday, May 9, 2011

Our Turn

"Our Town" is over, at last. It will be awhile before we recover fully from our long lack of sleep, but it is becoming "our home," "our family" once again. It was fun and rewarding watching our beautiful girls perform. They were wonderful.  I laugh at lines others do not seem to get, but I also cry freely when emotions are high, and there is plenty of emotion in Thorton Wilder's work. It drags at times, and is too preachy too often, but it makes well the point that life is short and that we better tend to our relationships while we can because even the best ones don't last long.

For example, when Libby Lu is on the ladder with her play brother, having a typical, meaningless brother/sister exchange, I wonder how many of us are reminded of our own siblings, of opportunities lost now that we are all older. After Gracie dies, and she goes back to her 12th birthday and talks with her mother, my heart aches because too many of us just don't see the treasure right in front of us, or that used to be right in front of us.

Her line wounds me each time I recall it: "Oh, earth, you're too wonderful for anybody to realize you. Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it - every, every minute?" Like Jim Rohn says, most of us spend all of our time just getting through the day, rather than getting from the day.

I am blessed. My grandparents are gone, but my parents are here, and I have a brother. I have an amazing daughter. I have wonderful friends, I have impressionable students. Like most of us, I have a life too wonderful.

I realize that. If only I had time to do something about it....

2 comments:

  1. John, I see in your comments a family that is living the moments with their family and not waiting for the children to grow up so they can resume their life. I sadly see this happen in so many families and it makes me sad. When they reach our age, they tell us how lucky we are because our children call us and visit us, it is not luck, it is love.
    You are a good writer John, I am reading the Dollmaker on my nook, which was required reading in high school. It is a tearful book, but I am learning about the sacrifice and anguish that a parent will do for her family. Thanks for your words, they are inspiring.

    Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete