Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Stroke to Rehab - Life Goes On


Life goes on no matter how that life may look, no matter what gets in the way, no matter what leads us to another path it goes on.

Dad is in rehab. He looks a teeny, tiny, itty, bit, better each and every day. He ever so slightly moves his left foot. He is so tired, so weak. He does not move his left arm or hand, but his facial muscles on the left side look better. He still has a feeding tube and we all have a stroke class this afternoon. I don't know what that is, but I will be there.

My sweet brother Dan is up to his usual. Most days are good, some are not. We all spent a good deal of time together this past weekend and that helped. We gauge Dan's days by the number of phone calls we receive. Not too many yesterday. He helps Mom. She told me that when he was staying with her over the weekend, she entered the living room to find that Dan had poured her a cold drink and flipped on the cooking channel. Go, Dan!

The rest of us are hanging in there. John continues to be husband of the year, but now he is so with a cold. Get better, sweetheart. I have gone back to work. This is tough, but 150 essays, one and a half week of classes, and finals before I am done. Finals week also means I am not ready for Christmas. I am not sure how that is going to even play out. I think about it a bit but I am not stressed. We take it one day at a time.

For some time now we have been considering an educational move for our daughter LibbyLu. She is pretty, smart, and embraces being a bit nerdy, odd, different. She has been teased some at school. Her school is tough, but offers the IB program and we thought this would be a good fit for her. After a year and a half, we have decided that this is not the case. There is a fair amount of violence at this school and I worry about her and now she worries about herself. She has said she must be careful who she talks to at times, who she hangs with, and who she knows. This is not how it should be. She came home this week afraid enough to trade her unique look in for school uniforms. We will be picking up extra work and LibbyLu is headed to a private school. I will write more about this later. I will write about her old school and how, as a public educator, this breaks my heart. Her brain is too important to waste on other peoples' bad behavior.

9 comments:

  1. Should it occur to you, give my best to your dad - he has a lot of hard work ahead of him but I know he can do it. And, of course, hugs to the rest of the family. The human body is amazing in its ability to recover. Thanks for the update.
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have so many challenges right now and I hope you will be able to catch them all together and put them in the right order. I think number one is your daughter too. I was teased unmercifully back in the 50's in one school because my mom moved use every few months or so. Grass was always greener but this was long before the meanness there is in schools today. My best 2 years was at at a Catholic school where I felt protected and loved. I guess I have issues...lol...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow.....you have a full plate right now, no doubt! Please remember that positive thoughs bring positive energy! I can't even imagine how you feel right now....I am praying for all of you!!!! ANd good for you to take your daughter out of a school that hurts her in any way....if I could have done that years ago, I might not have a recovered addict for a son.....my options were not there, and I will never forgive myself for that! Sorry....I am rambling, I think of you and your Dad so often!!!! Hang in there! Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking of you and praying for your entire family, Kelly.

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there . Coping with a stroke victim is a toughy.. My father also had a stroke and lived 15 years longer. We miss him terribly, but keep every memory of his recovery and life before & after his stroke cherished. We must look for laughter as a crutch in the darkness... I wish you well.
    Cherykl

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just popping over Kelly to say thank you for popping over to my blog. Your comments are very much appreciated. I'm really sorry your Father has not been well. It is so terribly upsetting when our Family members are not well. My dearest thoughts are with him and you and your family too.
    Thank you.
    Hugs Suex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your plate is full, but so is your heart. Answers will come.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kelly ~ Glad to hear that your dad is improving some. Rehab can do wonders for stroke victims. (At least it did for my mom) ~ Hang in there and know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh goodness gracious...you are the rock of your family right now. I know the stress will ease and the burdens will lessen!! I am thinking of you and your family and wish you nothing but joy and happiness!! Big Hugs xOxO

    ReplyDelete