Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Help Me Save the Tree


With all that has been going on here in our neck of the woods, I seem to be struggling with a little holiday get up and go. I have a little bit of shopping done, no planning, and a bit of worrying - which is quite normal for me.

Our big challenge this year is the Christmas tree. We have a tall tree which is usually adorned with amazing, glittery, sweet sentimental treasures that represent 47 Christmases. My mother would buy each of us an ornament each year and when we left home we each took our ornaments with us to start our own traditions. I have carried on and bought a few extra, okay a very few extra along the way. I hesitate to put the tree up, with these ornaments, with a cute, fun and giggly sixteen month old in the house. She is a spunky little thing just learning the concept of the word no. It can be a trial and I don't think either one of us is ready or steady enough to handle the pressure of small sparkly, shiny, sweet temptations just hanging from every little branch of a big green tree in the corner.

So, what should I do? I do not feel slighted in the least to make a change for this year. But, I do want the change to be memorable in a good way rather than remembered as the year Mom chose to Grinch the Christmas tree.


Do you have any ideas? Oh, please help me figure this out and post a comment. Thank you so much.

8 comments:

  1. I have three kittens in my house this Christmas, so I decided to put only unbreakable ornaments on the tree this year. I sewed some myself using scrap fabric, used some I already had, and bought others. Instead of garland or tinsel, I bought red bows. The tree still looks nice, and I won't have to worry about any ornaments breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it sounds silly but when our kids were that age we put the tree up in the playpen. The boys could ooh and aah but not reach anything. Of course that was the early 70's and they were square not those pack n plays. You'll figure out what is going to work for you all. I think maybe a little tree on a tabletop with your most memorable ornaments is more what I would do for now. Looking forward to seeing what you decide to do. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can place the ornaments up high where she can't see them or touch them. I don't know why, but my babies never touched the tree, maybe I put the fright in them!! ;-D

    Good luck and Happy Holidays, Kelly!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to suggest the playpen - that was what my parents did when I was a toddler and that was 75 years ago!
    Mary Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you could do a Charlie Brown tree on a small table.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unbreakable ornaments towards the bottom, more fragile ones towards the top. And, of course, one very unbreakable shiny "special" ornament for the tiny tot. Each time she reaches for an ornament, give her the "special" one.

    Easier said than done.

    PS I grinched the tree this year and went with the small tacky tinsel tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I guess a small cattle prod is out of the question?






    wv--stabsess;eewwww, what you successfully do to a carbuncle

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just discovered your blog and it's charming:)
    Thank you for visiting mine!
    Have a nice day!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete