Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Stroke - Day 6...PT, ST, BD and all ASAP


Dad was moved to the Acute Rehab Unit this afternoon. All the staff have raved about this program and were happy when Dad proved a good candidate. It was hard to leave the Stroke Center in some ways. It was a place we grew to kn0w. We knew where to get cold thickened water, coffee, and extra washcloths to cool for Dad's face. We learned we could ask for anything on Dad's behalf and it would happen. We began to feel safe there. The staff has been supportive and caring beyond what should be expected. There were so many that it is hard to remember. Thank you to Roberta, Sara, Holly, John, Nate, and on and on.

PCA John and Dad made a connection and even though John was not assigned to Dad on this last day in the Stroke Unit, he worked it out to be the one to wheel Dad's bed to rehab and help him settle in.

Dad had dinner in bed this evening, but we were told it is the last as he is in rehab now and there will not be a whole lot of lying around any more. His first session is Tuesday morning at 7:30am. The work to get better now begins.

5 comments:

  1. You all have a lot to be Thankful for this holiday season. I will pray your Dad continues to improve and you all need to take care of yourselves too during this stressful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kelly Sweetie...
    I have been out of the loop for a few days with Momma visiting for a week, and just see your sweet Daddy has suffered a stroke. Oh my gosh sweetie. It sounds like he is hanging in there, and must have improved for them to be releasing him to rehab. That is a GOOD thing, and I am so thankful for that. I will keep him in my prayers sweetie, and you as well to continue with the strength that you need for the both of you.

    Please keep me posted sweet friend. Happy Thanksgiving. Much love, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Later in life, you will be so glad that you are documenting this not-so-wonderful time of your life. When my mom had her stroke, I was in such a state of shock and "lostness", that I didn't. I wish now that I had. Her stroke happened on November 8th, 2005. The holidays that year were rough, to say the least.

    Your dad being moved to the rehab is a step in the right direction to recovery! That is wonderful news!

    I am continuing to pray for his healing and for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad your dad is on the mend, Kelly. Sounds like he's got a lot of getting better to do, but I'm sure you're thankful to be out of the woods a bit. Hope you and your family have a nice holiday...

    ReplyDelete