Saturday, November 20, 2010

Stroke - Day 4


We have spent the last three days watching my dad go from bad to worse. He is maintaining at worse with the realization that there is even worse than worse. So, this is where we stand for now.

The neurologist proved not to be the one for us. I said something like, "Not checking on my father's progress, or lack there of, and a lack of communication and courtesy toward the patient and their family is not like what Hollywood shows us..a sign of extreme intelligence and medical giftedness, but complete incompetence." Or, something like that. Apparently, it left quite an impression among the staff, as I have been told, in very hushed voices, my demand is warranted.

This morning brought a new neurologist and hope. This is good.

Dad ate a bit today - pudding and some chocolate milk shake. The girls visited him and LibbyLu laid her head on his chest. It has been an emotional day.


7 comments:

  1. My heart goes out to you and your family during this difficult time. I worked for neurologists for 15 years and as in everything there is the top half of the class but also the bottom half. You did right to demand the best for your dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I am thinking of you and your family. ((Big hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. so sorry to hear this..glad you are on top of the doctor and demanding better treatment..no excuses...you are in our prayers....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly,
    I am so sorry to hear this is what has happened, I have been away from your blog for a few days.....please know that I am thinking of you and your family at this time......:):) Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of your and your dad - I have been down this very same path with my own father and I firmly believe that every patient must have an advocate. xo -amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on doing your job very well. It is so important to have a family member ready to fight for the patient, and confront the medical authority, the doctor, the nurse, the hospital, the insurance people - whoever... for the best care possible. It's a tough job!

    ReplyDelete