Sunday, October 17, 2010

Pay Attention in School


Just last week, I was sharing with students the excitement of being in college. They do not always look too excited, so I need to remind them every now and then to "buck up buttercup, this stuff is important." I share that the general education requirements are important to life and a foundation to what they will learn in their chosen degree fields. This knowledge is necessary to make connections, necessary to understand more complex concepts, and necessary to not looking stupid at dinner parties.

But, every now and then, these requirements are necessary in our personal lives. I have used algebra countless times in my life as a seamstress and even once when I needed to know how big a refrigerator I could buy to fit in the corner of the kitchen without its swinging door bumping the swinging back kitchen door. It was a little tricky to be sure.

This week, I used what I learned in Psych 101 my freshman semester of college. My dad had a Cerebral Stroke. I know the function of the cerebellum. I know why he is dizzy. I know he may be dizzy for a very long time. I know the brain is an amazing thing and there is hope at building the neurons necessary to make the effects diminish and, in some cases, disappear. I did not have to look up the diagnoses to have a basic understanding. I am sure glad for that Psych 101 class and Dr. Skip Phelps for being so excited about Psychology that she encouraged me to engage and remember.

If you have a moment, my mother could use a kind word and thought.

4 comments:

  1. That was very insightful. How's your dad doing? I'm a Medical Assistant and one of my family is ill I feel I know too much and that's overwhelming. I'm going to go visit your mom now so take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother had a hemmoragic (spelling?) stroke in the left occipital area of the brain about 13 months ago. The doctors fully expected her to pass away. She is still here. She does have some problems with her sight and dementia as a result, someone has to be with her at all times as she has issues with her balance and dizzyness, and she did have to have speech therapy. She was very lucky. Since her stroke she has had 3 more greast grandchildren, whom she dotes over.

    The first 4-5 months after she came back home were the hardest on everyone, especially those of us who had to physically care for her. But she did get better. Urge your Mom to hire a caregiver to help if she can afford it and if your Dad needs one. It will help both of them. My father refused to hire anyone. I have been hurt so many times over the past year caring for her, that I can no longer do it and they have to go into a retirement home.

    Good luck and I wish you all the best. The brain has amazing healing properties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly, I read both your and your mom's blogs regularly and want you to know that all your family is in my prayers. I'll try to call your mom later today or tomorrow. I had hoped to see her in Houston but wonder now if she will be going.
    With love, Mary Ann in Livermore

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healing thoughts and prayers coming your way. I know this is frightening. You and your mother need to draw on your inner strength now, you both are amazing women. And the human body is amazing, too. Hopefully the worst has passed and Dale will have no obstacles on his road to recovery.

    Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete