Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I Am 47 Today.


I once worried about these birthdays. The ones many considered, well, old. The ones I hear women whine about, have emotional breakdowns about, the ones where women give up and trade in jeans for swishy sweat suits. But, here is another one of those birthdays for me and I feel better than last year, smarter than the year before, happier than any other birthdays, wiser than most all my birthdays put together, and better looking than any (according to John). I still wear jeans, I have gray hairs, I have earned, I play, I laugh, I look closely at the things in my life that are important to me. There is no doubt that, physically, things are changing, but I am still surprised when I look in the mirror. I look so much different than I once thought I would, I guess. At sixteen, I am not sure what I was expecting I would see when I looked in the mirror this morning. But, what I see is me. I am still there just as I was at sixteen. I am still me...only better.

15 comments:

  1. I turned 50 last year, I dreaded it, feared it and tried to ignore it, but now it wasn't so bad. I'm alive! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! And three cheers for being you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday! I hope you have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday. What better way to look at life then that way. We are what we are and we make the best of what we have. You are doing wonderfully and being happy about it. Shortly I turn 48 and though it's not really my favorite number it's just a number and it really doesn't matter. I can still keep up with all my daycare kids, my boy scouts and my family. I am working on a new life style change for health reasons not bad one, just to be healthier. Life is great, life is grand.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday! I know exactly how you feel because I turn 47 today too! Hope you have a wonderful day and a fantastic year. -amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Kelly!
    Hope you have a wonderful time.
    Hugs and Love Suex

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to be 47 again...I am approaching 59....age is just an attitude anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Kelly! Sometimes I have fantasies of going back in time just for the freedom, but I would never, ever give up the wisdom, friendships or the life I have now (no way). Enjoy your life as you are--you've earned it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so right! I remember when I thought 38 was OLD!!! Now I wonder just what number I'll have to be before I feel old...Have a very happy birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmmm. I remember 47. Or at least I think I do.... Have you seen my glasses? Can you help me out of my chair? Now what were we talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday. If I worry at all it's about the ones I may not have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Birthday!!! Hope you had a wonderful day filled with lots of cake and ice cream!

    I turned 50 last summer. 50? Really? In my "mental" mirror, I look like I did when I was 25-30. When I pass by a real mirror, I'm startled to see someone older looking back at me. I'm glad we don't have many mirrors in our home. =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, I was able to tell you Happy Birthday in person yesterday, but after reading your blog and what others had to say, I decided to comment here as well. I love what you dad to say about yourself, because as you know. I have always aspired to a positive attitude about life. Sometimes it is very hard to do, but you do that very well with only a glitch or two as we all have. In my twenties I awoke every morning feeling 19. In my thirties and forties, I was still feeling pretty young feeling 29 and considered staying there as my mother always did. However in my fifties, 40 raised it's head and now at 68, fifty seems about right. Happy Birthday once again dearest girl, Mom

    ReplyDelete