Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Finally Finished

This is not the best day for pictures, but I am too excited not to share. Now, I am certainly not complaining about the weather. It is a balmy 63 degrees but overcast - the opposite of a week ago and I am happy to shed the parka while I can.


I have finally finished Lucy's blanket. I cast on in July after finishing and shipping Jody's shawl.


The pattern is one found in this novel.

I had borrowed the book from my mother, but after returning it the Baby Blocks pattern inserted at the end of the novel stuck with me. When we found out we were expecting a grandchild in August, I knew exactly what I wanted to make her. I purchased the companion book of patterns to The Shop on Blossom Street, published by Leisure Arts. It is a beautiful book with wonderful photographs and several patterns that inspire. I will likely find myself using the book again.


I love the beautiful soft pink of the sample blanket.


I was not able to find just the right color pink; however, I did find a pretty, soft variegated pink at my LYS. The pattern might have looked better, more like I desired, with a solid, but this yarn turned my head and I am pleased with the results.


I was looking for an easy care yarn and was surprised to find this 50% nylon, 50% acrylic blend. Fantasy, by Dark Horse Yarns, was surprisingly wonderful to work with. It is everything you do not expect from a synthetic yarn. This high quality yarn has a soft hand. Fantasy was easy and fast to knit as it glided easily through my hands. The drape is beautiful and even though the blanket is substantial, it is not heavy.


A 100 gram ball equals 205 yards. The stitch gauge is 4/5 stitches to the inch on #8 needles. Fantasy is easy care machine wash and dry. It worked up beautifully.



The stitch definition is what I would expect of a natural fiber.


Like with all larger projects, I will miss Lucy's blanket in my project bag. The yarn was delightful, the anticipation of gifting wonderful, and this pretty blanket was a near constant companion for six months. It has been to Kansas City for MOKA and many cheer practices. I worked under the Summer sun at Dan's softball games and even knitted the time away before WTT matches.
The next project is for myself and waiting in the wings. Here is my yarn. Can you hear it call, "knit me, knit me, knit me." I respond, "be right there."


10 comments:

  1. This is the most gorgeous blankie ever. I love the soft colors and it looks so soft and snuggly. Can you tell I just love it?? :). And the next yarn shown..can't wait to see what you do.I'm a crocheter and would love to make something with that pretty yarn. I knit some,but just as a beginner..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love of too. I was hoping that you would post this today. I know how hard you have worked on this beautiful blankie and I am guessing Lucy will grow to love it as well. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly! That is one beautiful blankie! Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, what a wonderful picture of you with your grand daughter. A future blogger I can tell. Your afghan for her is the perfect shade of pink. My Blue Plate entry is Jumbo Chocolate Chips. I did try the pepper steak, but didn't photograph since there already was one in the cookbook. I am looking forward to your new project. The colors are lovely! Have you visited The Garden Bell who dies her own yarn? Quite a lot of effort, but what beautiful results. Have a lovely rest of the week! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did a wonderful job! I think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucy will cherish her blanket forever. I love the colors. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kelly, the blanket is beautiful. I love the yarn choice. Thank you for the info on it--I must go check it out. Your next yarn looks really lovely too. Can't wait to see your next project.
    ♥Lallee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kelly,
    I just love this blanket! I don't knit unfortunately only crochet! But I'm loving this pattern and indeed the yarn! YOu've made a wonderful job of it and I'm sure it will be well received!
    Hugs and Love Suex

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lucky Little Lucy. She can snuggle in your fabulous creation! And just look at the yarn that awaits you! My, that really looks hand-dyed and soft. Do you already know what is planned for it?

    Glad you liked my photo. My family is SHOCKED to see that I put myself on the blog. I usually have no problem posting photos of me if they are pre-color film.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors and patterns. So, so pretty. :) Visting you from Blue Cricket Design. Adding you to my blog list. :)

    ReplyDelete