Saturday, January 23, 2010

A Fine Saturday Morning


I have not seen Lucy in a week. I can't tell you how difficult it has been waiting a whole long week to see her bright, sweet face. She is such a sweet grandbaby. She came to visit for a few hours last night while her mommy cleaned house. We were delighted to have her. At some point, late in the evening, we found out she would spend the night. I love that. I used to be a night person, back in the day, when LibbyLu was a baby. But, all of that changed during graduate school when I trained myself to go to bed early, when LibbyLu did, and set the alarm for 3:30, sometimes 4:30 in the morning. This allowed me to be a mom, which I so adore, in the afternoons with LibbyLu and be a student in the wee hours of the morning. The routine stuck around well after graduation. John, being a night person, takes the night shift with Lucy and I get the mornings. Lucy was up bright and early this morning, nearly before the sun, and she and I sat quietly together enjoying each other. We cuddled and sang. Rocked and kissed. She was calm, quiet, and sweet. After a time, she dozed off. No crying, no fighting the sleep. She drifted into dreamland. I read and she slept. The house was still, quiet, and warm. It was a very fine morning.

Grandpa was hungry when he got up. Scones were a good solution.

Creamy Classic Scones

2 C all-purpose flour

1/4 C granulated sugar

2 t baking powder

1/8 t salt

1/3 C unsalted butter, chilled

1/2 C heavy whipping cream

1 large egg

1 1/2 t vanilla extract


1 egg mixed with 1 t water for glaze


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly butter a baking sheet.



In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut the butter into 1/4 inch slices and cut into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.


In a small bowl, stir together the cream, egg, and vanilla.



Add cream mixture to the flour mixture and stir until combined.


With lightly floured hands, pat the dough into a 1/2 inch thickness on a lightly floured cutting board. Use a biscuit cutter or a glass to cut out rounds of dough and place on prepared baking sheet. Gather scraps together and repeat until all the dough is used.



Lightly brush tops of scones with the egg and water mixture.


Bake 13-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove the baking sheet to a wire rack and cool for 5 minutes.


Using a spatula, transfer the scones to the wire rack to cool.


Serve warm with preserves. We like ours with butter and a sweet blueberry sauce. Enjoy.


Interestingly enough, John made a small confession the other day. I had placed baking powder on the grocery list, and somehow he managed to justify to himself that buying the generic would be as good as my favorite brand. He apparently panicked, knowing that somehow this can't be good thinking, and dumped the generic into the brand name can. Both cans were in the cabinet.


7 comments:

  1. In my defense, Kelly Darling, the store was out of the usual brand. There was a wide gaping hole on the shelf. My ONLY choice was the generic. It was either that or keep mixing baking soda and cream of tartar, like I had been doing, at your excellent suggestion. One of the girls and I made the swap with the cans as a joke, but you missed it. I confessed merely as a courtesy, simply because that's the kind of guy I am. And I knew you would kill me if you found out otherwise....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, there is another choice. Stop at another store on the way home. But it does make for a good story. Made me laugh. The scones look really good. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh...oh absolutely sweet is your man...the fact that he wrote about his little escade for all to see...precious!
    Love the time you get to spend with your little one....amazing how, when we get older the things that would drive us crazy, now bring us the most joy!
    Have a wonderful day! xOxO Nerina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kelly
    What a fun post. I envy you having your little lucy spending the night. Our grandchildren live so far away.
    The scones look so delicious.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you guys are too funny talking back and forth on this blog. The scones look marvelous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly... if you hear someone in your kitchen late at night don't call the cops! It's just me on the hunt for these babies!!!

    I hope you don't me linking this weekend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look so delicious and I love the fun post! I also love the transferware and the biscuit cutter-cute!
    ~Nancy

    ReplyDelete