Friday, December 18, 2009

How do you...?

2007 by Wang Du

My pretty white laptop is filled with thousands, really, thousands of photos of those I love.

There are pictures of LizzyLu.


There are pictures of Cubsey.


There are pictures of GraceyLu.


And, of course, there are pictures of SweetLucy and many more to come.


There are pictures of parties and cupcakes.


There are pictures of creativity.


On top of photos, there are hundreds of lesson plans, hundreds of letters, musings, e-books, patterns, and miscellaneous stuff I seem to need. It is fairly, but not acceptably, organized. I want to do better. I want to know where my stuff is and how to find my stuff easily. As I think about this stuff, I think about how this stuff may or may not be safe. How will my kids have access to our photos? We have some here on the computer and some on CD. It seems so unsafe.

Most of my childhood is in print and on slides. There are so many slides. Slides are, well, not easy to view anymore. They need to be digitized. A huge project. But then what? What will I do with the pictures then?

Help me out here. How do you store your photos? How do you preserve? How do you organize this part of your life? Help!

~Kelly

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to purchase a new external hard drive. They are smaller now and affordable. Then I'm going to copy all of my pictures to that and put it in a safe deposit box. Then once a month I'm going to take that drive out, take it home, and add any additional pictures or documents to it and take it back to its safe place. At least that's my plan...may be my "New Years Resolution" this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I enjoyed your post very much. Because this is my problem. I have the problem that I have too many albums upstairs in my wardrobe. We have new fitted wardrobes and half of my wardrobe is taken up with albums.
    I have photographs on every part of my life. WEll mostly from 18 yrs of age. I am now 54. My lifestory is in albums. I got married at 29. All our holiday photos and our life together is in albums. Then we had our twin daughters. I now have every moment captured of their lives in albums. So I reckon 100 Albums.
    I put my crocheting on Flickr and also keep a blog. But still tend to print family photos and put them in albums.
    I have even ordered copies of my blog now for my daughters so where does it end? How can I minimise the amount of albums I have without putting them on the computer, I just wouldn't risk it. Computers are okay when they are working. But I feel albums are there forever. Problem is.....I have far too many.
    Enjoyed your post very much.
    Hugs and Love Suex
    Seasonal Greetings to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete