Thursday, November 26, 2009


I’ve learned a valuable lesson from watching Kelly knit. It’s been one of the few frustrations between us, something that annoys me every time. I’m talking about the whole frog thing, that ribbit deal.


I don’t know the exact terminology, but it’s when you rip stitches out (rip it?), sometimes many rows of stitches, to fix some tiny little minor error that occurred long before. I was shocked the first time I watched Kelly do it. It was such a small mistake, that few people would have noticed, and it hurt to watch her unravel row after row. It doesn’t happen often, but when it does, it always is painful.


But Kelly wants her work to be right, as near to perfect as it can be. She is willing to endure any pain and frustration to make good on her commitment to quality.


Which is how she lives her life, at work and at home. I suppose some people would be tempted to let the mistake go and move on. But not Kelly. I’m sure some people would just give up, scrap the whole project and move on. Maybe even never knit again. But not Kelly.


Kelly wants it right, so she fixes it. What better lesson is there for life? We all make mistakes, no matter how careful. So fix problems before you move on. Make relationships right rather than leave them flawed. Pay any price – even if it means ripping out stitches, which has to hurt – to keep your commitments to quality.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kelly!
    I am getting ready to send you a Calico Cookbook!
    I will need your mailing address.
    Merry Christmas!

    Jill @ Bittersweet and the little soap company

    ReplyDelete