Sunday, November 8, 2009

A Trip To The City

I moved to the Ozarks at the end of August 1993. It had rained, rained, and rained some more that month. The Missouri Water Science Center calls it The Great Flood of 1993. Water was everywhere. There was flooding in Kansas City as the Missouri River raged and reached beyond its banks. The Mississippi, as she is known to do from time to time, spread her ways across St. Louis and into Illinois. Many lost homes, while some lost lives. I found myself in Branson where Table Rock Lake expanded through the spillway into Taneycomo. Low lying resorts took the brunt at the height of tourist season, but Missourians don’t let much stop them. Branson sang happily along. By September, the land was dry and I learned what the word chilly really meant. By Halloween, I was searching to buy a winter coat as snow fell on small, costumed children begging candy door-to-door. I was accustomed to buying coats with fur trimmed hoods, the good looking, fashion forward, coats for special trips to the Sierra Nevada, an occasional jaunt down a mountain at Lake Tahoe, or gambling in Reno. I never dreamed I would live in a place where I had to wear a down-lined coat just to get to the car without freezing. I still get cold come the first frost and pretty much stay that way until summer returns.

Something else that has been a challenge to get used to is a two-month Christmas season. Christmas in the Ozarks begins at the beginning of November. I have been grumping around as twinkling snowflakes have appeared on city light standards, light displays are coming to life on the square, and Fall decorations have been marginalized to the clearance aisles at the local stuff marts. Christmas is here in the Ozarks whether I like it or not.

This year is warmer than most. It is a week into November and John and I just returned from a walk around our neighborhood. He wore shorts and I wore a short sleeved tee and sweats. It is in the seventies, beautiful, and sunny. Yesterday, John suggested a trip to Silver Dollar City, one of his favorite places to play. My only experience with this amusement park has been taking care of hungry children, negotiating hills and hollers with an overloaded stroller, running after excited children from one tummy turning ride to another and to another. I have resisted most suggestions to a day at SDC, so when John suggested we go, I felt pretty guilty for the dozens of times I managed not to go. Over the past week, we have discussed and considered a trip out of town for the weekend. A trip we clearly could not afford. But, some fun time together was important as we have not had a weekend to ourselves since summer before last. Staying home to do laundry would have been a waste of this time. Also, this would be a great opportunity to run my new Nikon through its paces. It must take blog-worthy photos. You can be the judge as I share our day with you over the next few posts. I only took two hundred and seventy some odd shots. I am serious about purchasing just the right camera.

The theme of this park is late 1800s and boasts rides, shops, craftsmen and entertainment. There is an International Festival which showcases entertainers from all around the glove, a summer Kid Festival at which time kids rule the park, and a Fall Crafts Festival. Silver Dollar City wears Christmas well. This year’s theme is everything snowmen. I love snowmen, so I was utterly delighted. It was odd walking among these icy snow folk in weather warm enough to stow sweaters in a knapsack. We had to purchase this little tote upon arrival after realizing we would too warm with sweaters slung over our arms all afternoon and evening. It was a wonderful date, a wonderful day, and I am so lucky to have shared it with my best friend John.



3 comments:

  1. You two are so cute! My husband is waiting on me hand and FOOT - ha ha. 4 more weeks on crutches!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. your blog is adoreable! and i LOVE your crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had fun. The beauty of SDC is that the park is still great the older you get. When and if you grow out of the ride stage there is still much to do and enjoy there.

    --Josh

    ReplyDelete