Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Giving Hugs - part 3 of 6


When I ran out of yarn, the first time, I ran straight away to my LYS, Simply Fibers only to find that my memory had served me correctly and I had, indeed, purchased all of Noro Silver Thaw, color way 5 in the store. And, of course, the color was discontinued and shop owner, Carol, was unable to acquire more. She offered just the right amount of sympathy and encouraged me to check on Ravelry. I was not panicked, but I was not sure why.

I searched the stashes belonging to Ravelers and found two members willing to part with the yarn I needed. Both women were offering seven or eight skeins. I sent out a plea for a skein of yarn. What I received in return was amazing. The first response was from Cheryl:

“I do have the Noro Silver Thaw available… I would be more than happy to part with a skein!”

“Send me your address and I will send it to you with prayers for Jody!!”

“consider it a gift…”

Come to find out over the course of several messages, Cheryl’s family is challenged with a major medical issue as well and I have been thinking of her, and her family, daily. She has a blog and you will love her curly do so check it out. I hope this post finds her family well. Thank you, Cheryl, you have touched my heart.

I received a second response from fellow Ravelry member, Rachel:

“I will be more than happy to send you a skein of Silver Thaw. I read the reasoning behind the shawl, and would really like to send the skein to you for free.”

I was so overwhelmed by the generosity of my fellow knitters. It reminded me so much of my mother’s group of friends I described here. If you knit or crochet, join Ravelry. You will love it. Thank you, Rachel, from the bottom of my heart. I so appreciate your kindness. Here are some pictures of Rachel's wonderful knitting.


Rachel is an amazing knitter and is so inspiring. Check out her blog, Have You Any Wool. I thanked Rachel, but told her I did not need the skein after all. Cheryl’s gift was in the mail.

I am one lucky new knitter. Thank you, Cheryl and Rachel, for your generosity, your kindness, your amazing heart.

Giving Hugs part 1
Giving Hugs part 2

3 comments:

  1. Your post has inspired me to get out the old needles and start creating!! I first learned to knit as a little girl of about 5 or 6 and have been dabbling ever since!!
    Can't wait to see your creation!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, it's everything I strive to be able to do but I don't seem to have the patience.

    I love the little white hat with the cherries, the ruffly scarf, the shawl...

    My Auntie is so very good at knitting she watches tv while she knits....I prefer crocheting and there's no way I can watch tv.

    Near and dear to my memories and heart was the dancing my ex and I used to do at random...keep on dancing. http://achocolatebook.wordpress.com/2008/12/07/dip-and-twirl/ I wrote about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so wonderful! I just love the blog world and KNITTERS! Honestly it seems like EVERY knitter I've met are just fantastic people! I am VERY new at knitting and hope to one day become better!! Love this story!

    Jen

    (I am going to check out Ravelry righ now!)c

    ReplyDelete