Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Choices


This is a pretty little dress I purchased for a song as part of a baby gift. Sweet little Lucy is due to arrive in this world in September. We are very excited for her arrival.


I love the smocking on this little dress and I am always somehow reassured that the world is right when I find these timeless styles still available. It seems that the time allowed for little girl dressing is shrinking with each generation. They want to grow up so fast and clothing manufacturers seem to be helping this idea along. I love this sweet turquoise and dark chocolate combination. Of course, polka-dots make it so much more likable.


I love making baby gifts and right now both the knitting basket and the crochet basket hold works in process for Lucy. Here is the little turquoise sweater I am hooking to match the dress. The pattern calls for a pretty ribbon closure which is woven through one row of the yoke and tied. I need your help in making a good choice.


The first option is a white satin ribbon with turquoise and brown flowers. The pattern calls for grosgrain, but I had few choices.


The second option is a deep brown with white polka-dot grosgrain.

Please leave me a comment stating which ribbon you think I should choose.

16 comments:

  1. Reluctantly, I choose the brown with white dots. I like the flowered one better, and think it looks better with the sweater, but the brown with white dots goes better with the brown dots of the dress. Perhaps you could develop an interchangeable ribbon system where the wearer, or the mother, in this case, could wear a different ribbon on different days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I vote for the brown with white dots, too, though both ribbons are lovely.

    And about the googling, I guess it means it wasn't all that important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the brown with dots, too. Though the other ribbon is so adorable with the sweater also. I must agree with Mr. G, I do like the interchangable ribbon idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too like the brown polka dot. It just pops. The flowered ribbon might go with more things though. But if I had to choose, it would be the brown ribbon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also think the brown works best. However, I think it would be fun to offer the new mother choices. She may or may not want to thread a new ribbon into the sweater when dressing sweet Lucy, but if she had several choices, the little sweater could be matched up with other dresses, onesies and more. Just a thought, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm...I'll be the dissenter here. I like the flower one...it doesn't overpower the sweater and it is fine to have some contrast to the dress. Go with your first instinct though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At first I definitely thought the brown with white polka dots. But the whole thing is just so sweet that I'm voting for the flowers. The brown seems too "bright." I know, weird description for brown...

    My best friend's daughter LOVES knitting, so I'm definitely sending her this link, and I'll be back too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shall I break the tie?
    I choose the brown.
    The sweater is little and will soon be outgrown, right?
    You made them to go together, right?
    So, there you have it.
    You're welcome.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely do the white one, it adds a simple delicate feel to the sweater. The brown overpowers the light blue, it looks "heavy" on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the white ribbon better with the sweater, but agree that the brown matches the dress better. I bought this same dress for two of my little granddaughters, they are soooo pretty in them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The white satin ribbon if she'll wear it in the summer for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both! She can use the daisy one for spring and the brown for fall :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi! I wandered over from ravelry. I personally like the dark brown polka dot ribbon. I think it goes well with the michael miller fabric great! Good luck and it's sure to be a cherished gift either way!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the white one. It makes it look nice and airy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the second option :)
    I believe that is perfect.
    Regards, Titi

    ReplyDelete