Thursday, July 9, 2009

Broken


Sometimes things break.

Small hearts break at the loss of a furry friend.

Records are broken bringing joy to one and sorrow to the other.

Emotions break when life is stressful.

We break when we are tired and need to revive.

Promises are broken more often than we care to think about.

We break in a new pair of shoes.

Dawn breaks again and again, thank goodness, so we always have a chance to fix what we broke or was broken the day before.

Today, I was standing in front of my office door. I balanced the ever present stack of ungraded papers on my left arm, my mug perched, as often it is, on top of the stack, a lunch sack with my favorite lunch which John had just dropped off in my left hand along with a bag full of throat lozenges because Wednesday’s scratchy throat is turning into much worse. My right hand was struggling to find my office door key. It is the key without any markings residing among the others with room numbers and building codes, my old office key I have forgotten to return, two jump drives, a keychain from my alma mater and one from this school. The mug began to slide. My hands were full. There was no way to stop it. It fell from the stack of papers in slow motion as my thoughts whirred wildly hoping the carpet would be enough to absorb the shock. Tea flew. The mug is hand painted made especially for me by one of my eleven year olds. Both girls had visited the pottery studio just before Mother’s Day last year and painted the most wonderfully beautiful mugs for me. LibbyLu’s mug hangs out with me on main campus and Cubsey’s hangs out with me downtown, at the theatre. Now, I have one hand painted mug as the carpet was not enough. How do I tell her that sometimes things break? That I was so careless with something so great?

10 comments:

  1. I bet she'll understand. It really is beautifully painted. I'm sorry the carpet wasn't enough. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww! I'm so sorry your lovely mug broke. Glue it back together and use is as a pencil holder on your desk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps soften the blow by offering to take her to the pottery place to make another one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A precious treasure, a gift from a child, a difficult loss, made worse by thinking it is the result of carelessness. But mugs can be repaired, at least enough that all that is lost is functionality. Maybe it can’t hold tea any more, but it can hold pencils or paper clips on your desk and still hold that special place in your heart. Accidents happen, and children understand. Everything man-made goes away, eventually. What remains, however, the true treasure, is what we value most: the love and appreciation behind the token, the talent and skill with which the gift was crafted, the memories. Those are not broken. Those sustain us through the other accidents and losses and broken things that are common to us all. Love remains, uncracked, unchipped, ever a part of you, ever a bond between you, between us all. Tell her that’s what matters most.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Her gift from the heart will always be there. I know as a Moma you have taught her that we are human and we all have accidents. That is what it was, an accident. You can glue this one back together, and us it as a holder, and take her back to the pottery studio and let her do it again. She will love it. Better than even. A bandaid fix. Country Hugs darlin, Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your special mug, I am so sorry that you lost it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you glue it back together and put a teeny little plant in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's definitely worth a repair attempt- the breakage doesn't look too terribly bad...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Ms. A!!! I loved LibbyLu's mug. I'm sure she'll understand. I wish that I had been there to help you with your stack of papers. I know what it's like to break something made by our precious wee ones.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww! I always wondered what the story on that mug was, I noticed you had it every day, but I also noticed that you seemed to hold it so carefully and lovingly almost. I'm sorry this happened, but I think all the previous comments are good ideas. I think there may even be a waterproof glue out there that could still let you use it!

    ReplyDelete