Thursday, June 4, 2009

VTT - Pitcher Love


Yesterday was the last day of school for our girls and summer vacation has begun. Our youngest are both moving from elementary school to middle school and I have been in a reminiscing sort of place realizing I will no longer be the class mom, no longer buy great big shiny, red heart balloons for Valentine’s day, no longer collect money for the class gift, take pictures at the school dance, tell stories, and bake pies for the teachers the day before Thanksgiving. Middle school will be different.


Last summer, the girls and I spent some time in front of the sewing machine. We made twirly skirts and father’s day map holders. This summer we are planning on pajama pants from vintage sheets, shorts, maybe a summer quilt to use when we go to the outdoor movies on Friday nights late in the season.


We spent a warm summer afternoon dying wool with Kool-aid and will spend another afternoon creating something fun from that wool. It was such fun. When I was a kid, summers meant hot afternoons under the California sun, playing in the park, swimming at the neighborhood pool, riding bikes, playing games on the grass under the big tree in the backyard and fresh white bread sandwiches and Kool-aid for lunch.


Mom always made Kool-aid in the big hobnail milk glass pitcher. Always. A few years ago I found a pitcher, like the one I remember so fondly, in an antique store. Of course, I had to have it and the price was right. Now, my kids will remember the Kool-aid pitcher in their childhood.



A couple of weeks ago I found this smaller replica of my large pitcher. It is perfect for my favorite flowers, daisies, but I have not been able to find out the history of this piece and what it was used for. It is only 4 ½ inches tall and has all of the details of the large pitcher.


Join Colorado Lady and show off your vintage loves.


~Kelly

16 comments:

  1. What a cute post! I love that pitcher, so pretty. How great you plan things to do with your girls during the summers, they will remember that for the rest of their lives!! Sounds like fun!!
    Happy VTT. Glad you linked in today, great story.

    P.S. Just wait until they get out of high school....talk about hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy VTT.. ohhhh I love your hobnail milkglass.. and with gerberas in it.. look even prettier!.. so sweet & pure!

    have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet post. You sound like a wonderful Mom. Love your pitcher and the memories it represents! Have a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes going from grade school to
    middle school is a big change for
    Moms and their kids. I miss making
    themed treats for the "holiday" parties, dressing them up for theme
    days,(those cute socks,tees,tights) birthday treats... It was fun, they grow up fast once they hit middle school. Your hobnail milk glass pitchers are so pretty with flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! Reminds me of summer days w/ my mom and sister. We have a similar pitcher, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those skirts are darling!

    My sister loves milk glass. So I usually pick it up when I find it to give it to her as a gift when she baby sits. :)

    I don't know what to tell you about middle school. I don't think I'll let my kid go. She'll just have to skip it. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think part of why we all love vintage things, besides their innate beauty, is the nostalgia they bring.

    Your things AND the memories they elicited are just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you have a great summer planned. Days that your daughters will treasure forever.

    Love you pitchers and the small glasses in the background. Maybe the small pitcher was for juice? That doily is beautiful.

    But, Girl, you have got to share that sewing machine with us! Be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your pitchers and the memories they bring back for you. And how wonderful that you plan and take such quality time with your daughters. Such lovely memories that you are making. Happy VTT..have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. twirly skirts sound so appealing to me! I had a hard time transitioning when my children started middle school. I was a bit lost the first year.....
    Your photos are beautiful. BTW, I'd love to see your Father's Day map holders.....:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love those white pitchers! We had lots of kool aid growing up in southern California too! And remember fizzes, the little tablets that dissolved in your glass of water? Loved them!

    Things do change when they leave middle school. My yougest is graduating FROM middle school next week...even more tears and memories. They all have to fly out of the nest...but so soon?

    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looked like a cool vintage sewing machine. It probably works better than a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet post. I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found your blog... Love the skirts you made. Man I wish I had that talent [even having a sewing machine would help]... I'd love to make some cute skirts for my daughter and I. Adding you to my daily reads! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. adorable girls
    sweet skirts
    and a beautiful pitcher!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We love the hobnail pitcher, daisies are also one of our favorites! And that doily is super cute! Love your blog and what a pretty background!
    Laura and Michele

    ReplyDelete