Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Sister's Keeper


This past winter, GraciLu and I each read My Sister’s Keeper. This was an interesting reading experience as it was very difficult to wrap one’s mind around the issues while trying to discuss the book with our fourteen year old. The story forced me to think about the ethics of creating one child in order to save another. To be honest with you, I never completed this thought process as the road to a conclusion is filled with pot holes, u-turns, on ramps and guard rails. I realize that sometimes the thinking can be good even though a resolution can not be found. I was left with the idea that I could not possibly know what I would do in this mother’s position unless I found myself in her position and this is a place I wish for no one. The book is a fine read, but not for the faint of heart and elicits a good cry.

Yesterday, GraciLu and I escaped the extreme heat and headed for the movie theatre to see the movie, My Sister’s Keeper. We have been curious for months as to how the director might handle the multiple narrating voices of the novel. It was done well. The use of lighting, sets and reflection encourage the individual emotion of each family member. So much was shared visually that might not be understood without the experience of reading the text that I recommend you read first then view the film. The film stands well alone, but the text adds so much more. I felt quite differently about the mother after the movie than I did after reading the novel, but sharing why would spoil it for you so e-mail me if you felt the same way. We cried in the theatre as well, but did notice that the big guy, with the shaved head and tattoos, two rows up to the right was sniffling long before we were.

Two great previews included another favorite book turned film.


And, a great treat for those of us who grew up watching and laughing with the Galloping Gourmet...


and Julia Child…





Looks like a good summer for movies.

Stay cool,

~Kelly

4 comments:

  1. I read the book last year too and really liked it. I thought it was very thought provoking. My book club discussed it at great length and the discussions it brought up were really interesting. I want to see the movie now that I have read your review. I am also looking forward to the the other two movies you mentioned. Have a great weekend!
    DD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read my Sister's Keeper several years back as one of our book group selections....definitely a very good read. I too look forward to seeing the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for these recommendations. I remember when we watched Bridges of Madison County (our first date 14 years ago)I thought to myself, "I am SO GLAD I read the book first!" Just to fill in the blanks.
    So relieved to see some good movies coming down the pike. There sure haven't been many lately.
    Is it just me, or does this pic of Julia Child look just like Susan Boyle?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read the book about 6 months ago too, and have been looking forward to seeing the movie when it comes out..probably next weekend before it comes to our very rural area.
    Thanks so much for telling us your thoughts on it. Makes me want to see it for sure!

    ReplyDelete