Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!


My father and I have always been the best of buddies. We have laughed together, cried together, played together and, often, got into trouble together. He taught me how to shake things off, use a J-stroke in canoeing to conserve my energy, cook potato pancakes on a Coleman stove, ride a bike, roller skate, change the oil and a flat on my first car, drive defensively, live outwardly, swim, leave a campsite in better shape than it was when we arrived, be the better person, and do the right thing no matter what. He showed me that life is not always fair, that unconditional love is always the best policy, that family comes first, that having a good work ethic will see me through the tough times, that laughing at myself will keep me humble and make life more fun. He has been my date when other men failed. He taught me to dance. He has moved my piano. He has fixed my cars. He has loaned me money. He was my unofficial Girl Scout leader when he taught me how to survive if lost in the Sierra mountains. He was my unofficial swim coach yelling “kick” every time my ear broke the water’s surface during races. I see him in me, in my appreciation of all things in nature, in my love for water, in my love for human beings and children and in my gift for gab – even with complete strangers. Dad makes friends wherever he goes. He tells bad jokes. He loves my mother. He is patient beyond compare. He washes dishes. He loves history. He loves the American Bison. He likes airplanes and trains. He tells me stories about our family so I will not forget a gandy dancing grandfather, a coal mining great grandfather, a devoted Aunt Bee (not kidding), a sweet great grandma, and a saucy wayward grandmother.


My dad is in his seventies now, and I have some grey hair and wrinkles too, but when I hug him I feel like his little girl again and nothing in this world can hurt me, because my daddy loves me.

Happy Father’s Day, Dad.


We had a wonderful Father’s Day celebration at a small local lake. It was a very good day filled with good weather...


food, homemade cards...


gifts...



togetherness...canoeing...





heat, humidity, and wild flowers.


I hope your Father's Day is a great one!

~Kelly

4 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! You should print that out for your dad. Looks like everyone had just a great time together. So glad to see that. Thanks for the reminder--I better go call my dad now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Kelly. Glad you had a good day with your dad and family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED the post! But no Blue Plate Monday???

    ReplyDelete