Sunday, June 7, 2009

Blue Plate Mondays - Oven Fried Fish


“Oh, man.”

When this is what John says as he pushes his chair back from the dinner table with a cleared plate in hand, I know that whatever I made that evening is blog bound and Blue Plate Mondays worthy. So, here is a recipe that is not only healthier than our traditional fried fish fair, but easier, faster, and far easier to clean up and that is a very good thing.

As a mother and wife, I know that fish should be somewhere on the menu every week. But, beyond the tuna salad sandwich I am just not very good at following through on this. It has been difficult to get the kids to eat fish any other way, but this recipe is a kid pleaser. The kids shy away from Salmon, and being in the Midwest, I shy away from fish because fresh seafood is nearly impossible to find. My standards for good, fresh seafood are high considering my coastal roots.

So far, I have prepared freshly caught catfish and straight from the market Talapia using this recipe. Be creative and try something different and let me know of your success. This recipe was originally published here.

Oven Fried Fish


1 1/2 pounds catfish fillets

1/2 cup yellow cornmeal

1 teaspoon paprika

1 teaspoon dried thyme

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon celery seed

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 cup skim milk

cooking spray


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F*.


Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.



In a shallow dish, stir together the cornmeal, paprika, thyme, salt, celery seed, onion powder, garlic powder, and pepper.


Dip the catfish fillets in milk, then place them into the cornmeal mixture and coat liberally; place on the greased baking sheet.


Coat the tops of the fillets with cooking spray until wet.


Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until fish is easily flaked with a fork.


I served the fish with fresh from the farmer’s market Zucchini and some homemade corn muffins.


Welcome to Blue Plate Mondays! We will be expanding our menus and filling up our recipe boxes with new recipes every Monday. Showcase your best recipes, share a food story, and make new friends. Gourmet is not required, just good food that tastes great.

I hope you will join us and share your favorite recipes. It is easy.

1. Create a post on your blog that includes a favorite recipe. Don’t forget the stories and any attribution necessary. If you don’t have a blog, e-mail your recipe to me and I will post it here for you.
2. Link in with the Mr. Linky at the end of this post. Please be sure to do this after you have created your recipe post.
3. Check back often to see who is sharing recipes and visit the participants and leave comments.
4. Challenge yourself to try a new recipe each week and cram your recipes boxes full!

2 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmm. I've never made catfish at home but I think I will now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish! Inspired me to post a fish recipe too!

    ReplyDelete