Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Summer Update One


Well, it has not quite been a week, officially, but I feel compelled to bring you my I-am-getting-my-act-together-this summer update. I have managed to get up every morning, and like a good FlyLady jump into work clothes, which for me is a comfy skirt, t-shirt and no shoes. I know she recommends, nearly demands, shoes, but I am just not a shoe girl. I need free toes when I am at home. Who can cook with shoes on? I have, however, made sure I grab an apron - every morning. Today’s apron of choice is red with my favorite flower appliqued on the hem – a daisy. Just putting it on makes me feel like I have important things to do and I do.


It has rained every day since I turned in my grades at the end of spring semester last week. What is up with that? So, I have not been in the flower beds, and a can of paint primer is still sitting in the pantry. Ugh. Despite the rain, I did get a few things done around our cottage:


Bedroom - I did manage to clear off the hope chest at the foot of the bed. You would be amazed at what these babies can hold. Now the chest sports several neatly folded vintage 30s quilts and I can breathe a little better when I walk into the room.


Sewing Room - Because of some inside time, I managed to finish a pet pad for Cubsey’s charity project. She joined an after-school crochet club at school this year. It is a simple pad, really, and made of acrylic yarn, it is durable and washable a thousand times over. We don’t have a cat or a dog right now, but I can imagine how a pet would enjoy her own cozy pad. Make a few and donate them to your local animal shelter. Better yet, get together with others and make a bunch – the cats and dogs will sleep better. Here is my pattern:


Pet Cozy

Supplies:


1 skein Red Heart Super Saver – navy
2 skeins Red Heart Super Saver – blue variegated

Crochet hook size – N

Holding two strands of yarn (one navy, one variegated) together as crocheted as one, chain 61. Turn.

Last chain counts as first sc. Sc crochet in next sc and each sc across – 60 sc. Chain 1. Turn.



Repeat last row 46 more times. Bind off. Weave in ends. These pads also look nice with a single crochet border.

Here is my favorite puppy biscuit recipe to gift with your cozy.


Dog Biscuits

½ C cornmeal

6 T canola oil

2 C whole wheat flour
2/3 C water, chicken broth, or beef broth


Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all ingredients together well. Roll out to ¼ inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with a cookie cutter.

Bake 35-40 minutes. Cool.

Store in tightly sealed container.


Kitchen – Well, now this is good news. It is spotless. I spent an entire day spring cleaning and adding a few thrifting finds which I will soon be writing about. Here are a couple of hints.


Dining Room and Pantry – cleaned with kitchen. Yippee!


Outside – I spent a little time swinging on the porch swing, watching the rain drops fall, planning flowers to be planted, admiring the few that are blooming without any help from me.


Now mind you, I can write a long list of things I did not do this week, but I am not going to focus on what I don’t get done this summer, just what I do get done.

All in all, not a bad week of getting things done.

This week’s plan: Office – Um, well, um. To be honest, I am afraid to go in there, but summer school begins next week. Since the kitchen is done it is the next focus. There is a good deal of unpacking, filing, organizing, and recycling to be done. I need more book shelves – a mantra of mine and all other compulsive and obsessive bibliophiles I know. In the meantime, I am editing at the dining room table.

I may need to bribe myself.

~Kelly

11 comments:

  1. Kudos on the clean-up! I just finished an overhaul of my sewing space! Feels so good to get it done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, What a wonderful blog you have! We seem to love the same things! Your Blue Plate Monday is such a great idea! You knitting is just beautiful. To answer your question about my beautiful blog banner, alas I leave it in the hands of my two Chelseas who are young and computer savy! Their buttons can be found on my sidebar! My blog was a gift from them! Thank you so much for stopping by! Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,

    You have gotten more done in less than a week than I do in a month! We have had a lot of rain too. Then it got sunny last week and I wanted to kick myself because I felt I needed to finish indoor chores before I went out! Now I am ready to start gardening and it is supposed to rain until Thursday!!

    I know it is easier said than done, but once things are organized, it's easier to clean and zip out of the house~or just feel GOOD! I am however, the worse clutter person in the world so I am never happy! And there isn't a surface that doesn't have a book on it. Like I may lose my mind and actually sit down and read!

    Your swing looks awfully inviting and you have a headstart on your flowers!! Pretty pinks! And I am going to take some guesses on your new finds. Number 1. Everthing looks retro!!! And I think I spot a yellow stepstool, canisters, pot holder and egg timer...

    Have a wonderful week, Kelly! Keep up the great job! :-)

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your idea of focusing on the things that get done and not the things undone.

    I have a room I need to clear out too. Maybe we should race? =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely and motivating post. You're off to a super summer as far as getting things done. In style, no less! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly,
    Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind good luck wishes for the Fair. I love your kitchen tins and the red apron, too.
    Hen x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What awesome projects and photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've been such a busy bee! I've never made my own dog biscuits! I'l have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like you really got a lot done...I need to follow suit....I did do some cleaning and packing up garage sale items today...but I have a lot more to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Kelly
    Thanks for leaving a comment so I can come and visit you. WOW! You sure are busy. I love your photos and will be back to visit soon.
    Hugs, Rhondi

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Kelly!
    I LOVE your pet pads...will make a few this summer. I have a great dog biscuit recipe too.....never thought of sharing it online though..maybe this Christmas!
    Thanks for joining my latest apron swap, its sure to be fun!

    ReplyDelete