Monday, May 11, 2009

Blue Plate Mondays - Zucchini Quiche

We have, as of late, been most disappointed in our decision to eat out for special occasions. These have not been horrible experiences, but these have often been just okay experiences. Mom and I decided we would rather invest a little bit of work in a good meal in rather than risk a so-so meal out which would be disappointing. Mother’s Day was brunch at the grandparent’s house. Here is my contribution.

Zucchini Quiche

1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust
2 T butter
1 lb. zucchini, sliced thin
1 ½ C mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 cup ricotta cheese
½ C half and half cream
3 eggs, slightly beaten
¾ t salt
½ t dried oregano
½ t dried basil
¼ t garlic powder
Dash pepper

Prick bottom of pastry with a fork. Bake at 425 degrees F for 7 minutes. Remove from oven and reduce heat to 350 degrees F.

In a small skillet, sauté zucchini in butter until tender, drain. Place half the zucchini in the crust. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.

In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, cream, eggs, alt, oregano, basil, garlic powder and pepper. Pour into crust.

Arrange remaining zucchini slices over the top.


Bake for 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let set for 20 minutes. Cut and serve.


Welcome to Blue Plate Mondays!

We will be expanding our menus and filling up our recipe boxes with new recipes every Monday. Showcase your best recipes, share a food story, and make new friends. Gourmet is not required, just good food that tastes great. Why am I doing this? Read here and here.I hope you will join us and share your favorite recipes. It is easy.

1. Create a post on your blog that includes a favorite recipe. Don’t forget the stories and any attribution necessary. If you don’t have a blog, e-mail your recipe to me and I will post it here for you.

2. Link in with the Mr. Linky at the end of this post. Please be sure to do this after you have created your recipe post.

3. Check back often to see who is sharing recipes and visit the participants and leave comments.

4. Challenge yourself to try a new recipe each week and cram your recipes boxes full!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! Now I can't wait until the zucchini are ready in the garden. I was wanting to have a few of my "girls" over to chit chat and this will definitely be on the menu. Thank you Ms. A for another awesome recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks SO good! I have to make this as soon as my zucchini is ready. I will try to post a recipe today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kelly,

    It looks like I am a tad late for BPM but I will definitly be here next week. It sounds like fun and I am eyeing the pictures of your quiche, wishing it was that and not pork chops in my oven (yes, we eat sometimes about 10:00 p.m. around here!)

    I will be back soon but right now I think my PC's are charring...

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. The zucchini quiche is one that I will certainly make! At some point, I always end up with too many zucchini.

    ReplyDelete