Sunday, May 3, 2009

Blue Plate Mondays - Biscuit Donuts


Welcome to Blue Plate Mondays! I hope you will be inspired to join us in our efforts to get our cooking act together! It has been so much fun to cook with you all these past few weeks. I am in good company with new blogging friends, a dear, dear travel friend who is too far away, and a couple of students! I am ever so lucky to have these smart and talented women in my life. If you are in a cooking rut like me, or if you just want to try something new and share something special, then I hope you will join us here on Mondays with a recipe and a story.

Don’t forget this is the last week to enter the Blue Plate Mondays’ Scrap Basket Apron Giveaway. I want more names in that jar on Tuesday! I am thinking and scheming a new giveaway…something to do with that messy binder you all have been asking about. Regina has reminded me that this is a higher order concern.

This week’s recipe is in the semi homemade spirit of cooking. It is great for tired and busy moms who want to create warm special memories of hot homemade goodies on a Saturday morning. I have memories of my mother making homemade donuts. They were warm, fresh and delicious. What I did not know, as a child, was that donuts are no quick task. My mother must have had to rise early (No pun intended.) to make the dough, let it rise, kneed it, and let it rise again before dropping doughy rings in hot oil and dusting with sugar and cinnamon. Or, maybe mom had a secret like John’s mother. She had the right idea and we tried out these quick and easy Biscuit Donuts this morning. Of course, this does not fall under the healthy cooking category, but paired with fresh fruit makes it an occasional sinful treat and you don’t have to change out of your jammies to eat hot fresh donuts.


Biscuit Donuts

1 package ready biscuits (10 count)
vegetable oil (I use canola)
sugar
cinnamon

Heat 1 inch of oil in a heavy duty pan over medium-high heat. The heat may vary depending on your stove. Drop a pinch of dough in to test oil. When oil is hot enough the dough will sink to the bottom and pop back up sizzling.

While oil is heating. Mix sugar and cinnamon together in a shallow dish. Set aside.


Open biscuits and separate. Spread and flatten each biscuit slightly and cut a hole in the center. I used a heart shaped cookie cutter. Drop a few biscuits in the oil at a time. The donuts cook quickly so be vigilant, turning them as soon as the first side is close to the brownness you desire. The donut holes cook more quickly and need to be flipped almost immediately.


Remove donuts from oil and drain for a few moments on paper towels then dredge in sugar and cinnamon mixture.

Don’t make too many. I learned we can consume as many as we make!

I hope you will join us for Blue Plate Mondays and win my Scrap Apron. The directions for sharing recipes are found here and the giveaway guidelines are posted here.

8 comments:

  1. My mom made these while I was growing up. I didn't make them very often for my girls. =( Thanks for reminding me of these, Kelly. May have to make these for Mother's Day brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hummmm, I love making Donuts like this

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've only recently found you blog, but you have made a believer of me hook, line and sinker with this post. Bless your heart...
    -Suzanne
    justanotherhangup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMM...yummy. And they look so easy. I'll have to try these out for the fellows tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great recipe and one I think we'll have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't made those for ages :) I think it's time to break out the oil fondue... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. wonderful idea! and I love the heart donut holes :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We used to make those over the bunsen burners in 7th grade science class! so yummy!

    ReplyDelete