Sunday, April 19, 2009

Blue Plate Mondays - Porcupines

I am a sentimental kind of woman and this is likely one of the most important reasons for blogging. I don’t want to forget the moments that make me smile and the ordinary pleasures and challenges of my life. This is a place to remember then later to reminisce. So in the spirit of this sentimentality, I have made this apron for you.

I call this my Scrap Apron, because that is exactly where these fabrics resided, the scrap basket. From the hem up:


The bottom ruffle is made from a piece of fabric found in my grandmother’s fabric stash. It proved to be a bit old fashion for her as she began to work with Asian inspired fabrics in her quilting. I was happy to take it. It reminds me of china. The ribbon is a scrap from a costume from Picasso At the Lapin Agile. It resides upon the hat.

Next is a scrap from homemade pillowcases. I do love pretty pillowcases. The trim adds a bit of sparkle which we all can use in our lives. This trim was used on a fairy costume worn by LibbyLu a few pumpkin days ago. She and Aubrey cart wheeled from house to house seeking the best candy.


The blue and white gingham is from an Easter dress I made LibbyLu when she was only a baby. I copied a dress from one of the many high end and overpriced catalogs I received for several years after LibbyLu was born. The dress I copied would have cost nearly one hundred dollars retail. I made it for less than what this company charged for a pair of tights. The collar had daisy chain trim. I didn’t have quite enough daisy chain train for the ruffle so added a favorite, happy yellow rick rack.


This little dress also had eyelet trim around the hem. This same eyelet is on the top ruffle of this apron and the fabric is leftover from a blue and white sampler quilt that used to hang in my kitchen.


The ties are a bit spicy, as I know you all are, and are made from a scrap leftover from one of LibbyLu’s very first sewing projects. She made a cute Cheetah Girl skirt for her friend Gabby. I was so proud of her and Gabby and the other little girls were quite impressed indeed. She is learning the power of creating and giving and I love that.


When I was LibbyLu’s age, my mother and I participated in a school fundraiser. We held a mother daughter fashion show and potluck. I wore dresses made by my mother. One had tiny Victorian flowers and rickrack trim, and we brought my mother’s porcupines to share. I make mine slightly different from my mother’s, but I think you will like it just the same. These tasty meatballs can be made and frozen ahead of time making working night dinners hearty and easy.

Click to play this Smilebox recipe: Porcupines
Create your own recipe - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox recipe


I hope you will join us for Blue Plate Mondays and win my Scrap Apron. The directions for sharing recipes are found here and the giveaway guidelines are posted here.



PS - I have made Beth's Sausage Casserole! I will be sharing my success later this week after I finish editing for Susan.

5 comments:

  1. Good Morning! The recipe I posted is divine...hope you enjoy! The Porcupines look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first Blue Plate Monday. I enjoyed sharing this recipe that I have. I hope someone else will find the recipe helpful. I will do this from now on. Thanks for the opportunity.
    Jennifer/momof3onthego.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually make Porcupine Meatballs too, and they are amazing! Small world, I thought nobody else had heard of them, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love porcupine meatballs but my rice is never cooked. Will give your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete