Monday, April 27, 2009

Blue Plate Mondays - Kid Friendly Waldorf

Welcome to Blue Plate Mondays! I made a promise to myself when I started BPMs that I would post on the Sunday before. But, life has a way of interfering from time to time and that is what happened yesterday. I will write about the delay in another post, later, and about why I am a hotel snob. But in the meantime, I bring you my recipe for today - Kid Friendly Waldorf.

In an effort to healthy up the menu, I am always looking for ways to include more fresh fruits and vegetables to the table. This simple Waldorf salad is popular. The leftovers are often eaten for breakfast and lunch on the following day and it is easy to make in the morning allowing the flavors to develop into this great side dish.


Kid Friendly Waldorf

3 apples, washed and chopped (Choose your very favorite kind - I often mix varieties.)

3 stalks of celery, washed and chopped

1 small container of vanilla yogurt

3/4 C raisins

Toss all ingredients together in a large bowl. Chill and serve. So simple! When the kids are not around, I add chopped walnuts or pecans.
Here is a link to the original Waldorf Salad recipe for those of you with more sophisticated tastes.
I hope you will join us for Blue Plate Mondays and win my Scrap Apron. The directions for sharing recipes are found here and the giveaway guidelines are posted here.

7 comments:

  1. I love this recipe, I usually use mayonnaise but I think I will try it with yogurt from now o.
    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted my recipe this morning. Hope all is well. I had an interesting weekend as well...in a good way! I have zipped you a few emails. Let me hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds soooo light and crisp and juicy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this with my kids. I am sure they will LOVE this. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that this uses yogurt. Less fattening than mayo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm...sounds good. We fix one close to this around the holidays but I will definitely try with the yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's been a long time since we've had Waldorf salad, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete