Monday, February 2, 2009

We all fall down...


My husband said it would be funny if I typed this post using only the keys that the left hand is supposed to use. This would translate into this:

sbad sad t wd be f f ted ts st sg t es tat te eft ad s ssed t se

I will do my best. See, this only proves our mothers right - we should hold on with both hands. I like using both hands to drive, to ride a bike, to knit, to chop an onion, to wash my hair, and to type. Unfortunately, only my left hand showed up to work this morning.

Although much of our snow has melted, the thick layer of ice underneath has remained, especially in the front yard. Our Northern exposure helps ice linger on the grass and driveway. I walked out to meet Libby Lu arriving home after a weekend away only to lose my footing and slide down the slight rise of our front lawn. Fortunately, I did not slide completely under the vehicle parked in the drive. Unfortunately, I did not fall like all good ice skaters should, on my bum. I fell to my right and I broke another important safety rule and tried to break my fall with my hand. My right hand. I was fine for a while. When the soreness continued I took some ibuprofen, but the pain grew and by this morning I found myself in the doctor's office. X-rays show maybe a small crack, maybe not.

My students have a day off from writing - happy Monday.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry. I hope you heal up soon. I am brand new to your blog, but you certainly seem to do more than most with your hands with all your lovely enterprises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, unfortunately I know how it feels! I broke my wrist last year, and you don't realise how much you need it until you're unable to use it!

    Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so sorry!! Hope it gets better soon! Maybe it's not broken. Hopefully it won't take as long to heal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am behind reading my favorite blogs and THIS is what I find?! I am so sorry - I hope you heal VERY fast. You know my elbow still has a small ouchie and it has been a while now. GET BETTER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw.... "what doesn't kill us will only strengthen us" or so Mama said.

    Isn't it funny how when we know we're going down, we do everything possible to save our rear end when that's the best place to hit? I really, really hope you're healed soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, Kelly. I am so sorry you hurt your arm. My best friend broke her elbow 6 weeks ago. She tripped over a doggie gate. She is out of her sling know and getting better. Love that one-handed typing! Take care and feel better soon. (By the way I just won a giveaway on Not Quite June Cleaver too.) Aren't we lucky!

    Stay Cozy,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete