Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Birthday for Grace

I am a bit behind with sharing news of last weekend. We have had a full week. My sticky to do lists overlapped and layered on my date book pages. There were Valentines and boxes, parties and gifts on top of grading and planning, training and meetings, and a presentation on Friday. Whew!
Grace is now 15. She is sweet. She is smart. She is pretty. She is a good sister.
She loves rubber duckies so that was our theme. Her cupcakes were iced with rubber duck yellow cream cheese frosting. We ate spaghetti and garlic bread for dinner. Each place setting included bubbles in a rubber duck container. The ten year olds set the table which explains why the silverware is running amok. She received rubber duck socks which made her giggle and I made her a spirit scarf, in her school colors, which I had been knitting all Fall while attending band events, football games, and Libby Lu's cheer practices. I used the Harry Potter scarf pattern from here. It came out great and she loves it.
I wanted the scarf to be durable, but because Grace does her own laundry, I stayed away from wool. Wool will wear well, but what if she tried to wash and dry it? So, I tried, for the first time to use Vanna's Choice from Lion Brand Yarns. I am not sure if I like it. It knits well and blocked well, but seems scratchy. I am going to try one more project using Vanna's Choice, but will first make a swatch to wash to see how it will wash up. Hopefully, it will end up softer. Nothing worse than an itchy scarf or hat when you are trying to keep warm.

Cliche of the day...they grow up so fast!

Have a peaceful Sunday.

~Kelly

4 comments:

  1. So sweet!! That scarf looks great! And what a great little celebration!

    And I love the name Grace--that's Saylor's middle name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice birthday! yes, they certainly do grow up so very fast. You'll be a grandma before you know it! (but not to worry--you'll love it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cupcakes, they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I see you already found her yarn. The real cupcakes look yummy. It looks like she had a good birthday.

    ReplyDelete