Thursday, January 8, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday - Quilts

I am sometimes fortunate to ride along with my mother to her Missouri Oklahoma Kansas Arkansas Quilt Study Group (MOKA) meetings. This past summer we visited Mizzou for a wonderful quilt presentation by the University's textile collection curator. This was an extraordinary collection of dozens of quilts made over three generations by more than half a dozen women. Most were utility quilts, but there were a few "best" quilts as well.

The next day, our meeting was hosted by the Boone Country Historical Society musem. On exchibit were several quits. It is important to not that although the museum curator carefully lit the quilts from above, the light and dark you see in these quilts were created by the quilters, not the track lighting. They were stunning. Here is one of my mother's favorites - a crazy qult with lots of men's shirting and ticking.
This quilt was an amazing collection of shirtings and homespun fabrics.

The light in this quilt is created by fabric choice.
And, the zillion little pieces are no bigger than the keys I am typing on right now.
My favorite quilt ear is 1920-1950. My bedroom is home to a few family qults of this time period and there were a few hanging in the museum.
I have always wanted to make a butterfly quilt...
If you love quilts, find a local study group. These women work hard to preserve and record the stories and textiles of these wonderful pieces of history.

Join the fun with Vintage Thingies Thursdays here.

13 comments:

  1. WOW, Kelly..those quilts are STUNNING!! i LOVE vintage quilts and i'm lucky to own a few..your post is def my fav this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What beautiful quilts, I love them all. What work went into making these!

    Welcome to Vintage Thingies Thursday! I am glad you are here and sharing wonderful treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt with the tiny little squares is amazing. How long it would have taken..hmm. Thanks for visiting my blog - I've enjoyed reading back through yours. Sounds like you've had an eventful but good year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a beautiful collection. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The butterfly made me think of an old quilt of my MIL. I wonder what happened to it. The other quilts are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooo, I love the quilts and the closeups of that beautiful applique. These ladies do wonderful stitching. Happy belated VTT and hope you have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi kelly, check out my jun 08 post when i went to hawaii. my friend's quilt that she made is gorgeous - i wish I could have said i made it lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are beautiful; my favorite is the one w/ the teeny tiny pieces. Of course, the one that requires the most work and would cost the most to buy, I bet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would love to go to a place like this. My grandmother had so many beautiful quilts that I remember back in the 50s. Wish I had just one of them.
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went to a quilt show today in Oklahoma City! It had tons of booths with yummy, inviting fabrics, a quilt contest and a display of vintage quilts. Great fun. And then, I came home, read your blog and it ended my quilting day on a perfect note! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love looking at the beautiful quilts, especially the butterfly one. Great collection!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The skill and time involved in quilt making always puts me into a state of awe. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete