Thursday, January 29, 2009

Vintage Thingies Thursday - Apron


I was thrilled with all of your comments last Thursday. Thank you!
My husband spent three hours photographing aprons on the line one warm Spring afternoon. He was designing a banner for the blog. I had some vision of aprons hanging along a clothesline at the top of my blog page. Obviously, we went in a different direction.
With ice and snow the last three days, this Spring picture is the perfect antidote for winter blahs. I was very excited about your comments, so I thought I would share some up close photos of the turquoise apron and share answers to my question: Do you wear an apron?
So, here is a little informal response research on apron loving readers.


Corgi Dog Mama wrote, "I never enter the kitchen to cook without an apron on. It's been that way since the 60's, as a child. My mom always wore them, and my grandma too. It's genetic!" Yeah! That is so exciting. Maybe we can get her to post an apron show out so we can see her kitchen co
uture.

Elizabeth shared,
"I own a lot of aprons, but I never wear them. Instead I wear old shirts of my dad's, like my art smock from kindergarten!" Go Elizabeth! We need to get you over to Not Quite June Cleaver. She has a great smock. I want one, maybe she will give a volume discount!Delete

Amy said, "I still have some of my grandmother's ones that I use." Those are the best kind girl! Good for you!

Jewelgirl said, "... I do own a vintage red gingham checked one with neat x stitching on it." Red! Gingham! What could be better?

Amber said, "I have a whole stash of vintage aprons that I've been thinking about displaying in my laundry room. I need to get on that!!" Yes! Yes, you do. We would love to see that!Delete
OpenIDMarian wrote, "I've got a stack of vintage aprons too...aren't they fun to collect :)" Yes they are. I am always telling myself I have enough. Must not be true, as I keep on seeing that one apron I cannot resist. What is with that?
Ravenhill wrote, "There is really nothing much more feminine than wearing a pretty apron and working happily away in the kitchen." Well, there. I could not have said it better myself.

Miri said, "...using vintage treasures, it just makes everyday special." Yes, yes, yes. This is loving our vintage things and that is a very good thing.

John, my own darling John wrote, "One of my favorite things was when you set up a (very) small clothes line in our kitchen window where you could hang aprons, instead of having a curtain. I thought that was so cool. It was a window that did not receive direct sunlight, so your aprons did not fade. They were so, I don't know, homey, so welcoming, and so much exactly like you, and perfect for us. And you changed them from time to time, just for fun. I enjoy that about you." Hmmm, a bit biased maybe. I think the back door will be the perfect home for our apron clothesline - I need to work on that.

Susan asked, "...is that chicken scratch on some of them?" Yes! And, you are the reason I highlighted this particular apron today! Thank you for allowing us to take a closer look. Isn't it great?
BloggerRosie said, "I make and sell aprons and will soon by selling some from my blogsite." No kidding? Your aprons are so cute! I stole a picture to show off for you. I hope that is okay. Everyone check this out.

Colorado Lady wrote, "I have some vintage aprons...but I don't wear them. I don't want to mess them up....go figure!" I have a few vintage aprons that can't take the heat, so to speak, but mostly look for gingham and other fabrics that are tough.

Marjorie shared, "...I have started wearing one that belonged to my Mother in law. I remember when she made it and how much care she took to make sure it was sewed perfectly." That is very special. Enjoy loving it. DeleteBlogger
Mannequin shared, "I have only started wearing aprons and I'm pretty neurotic about it." Ha! Well, we all have our hang ups! Click over to her great site to win this saucy little number to wear while cooking your true love a Valentine's dinner.
Carrie wrote, "I also have both new and vintage aprons. However, I have not been wearing them lately." What? Go get your apron on!

Sue wrote, "I own two aprons and don't wear either - one a vintage Christmas bib apron; the other a half cherries one. I think I'd better start wearing the cherries!" Put them on! Right now! Her blog is so cute, too.

Stephanie shared, "No, I don't wear them but yes, I am getting more interested in them. I don't cook but it would be fun to wear them to clean, or I've seen some fashionistas wearing them over jeans. Hmmm, new statement?" You should become an Apronista!Delete

Michele said, "I do love aprons. I wear them quite often now that I make them and have them hanging on a peg rack in my kitchen. The reminder that they are available makes them often worn by myself as well as others visiting." Good for you. My aprons are hanging in my kitchen as well! Here is one of Michele's aprons. Too cute!

Wow! Could it get any better than this? This week's question is - do you wear an apron while you blog? Should we?
Visit Colorado Lady for Vintage Thingies Thursday and share your vintage treasures. If you would like to join us, visit Suzanne's lovely blog, post a comment to her vintage treasure post. Create your own Vintage Thingies Thursday post and create your Mr. Linky connection.

35 comments:

  1. I never enter the kitchen to cook without an apron on. It's been that way since the 60's, as a child. My mom always wore them, and my grandma too. It's genetic!
    My grandaughter was visiting after Christmas, and she put on my snowman apron. I think she's the next generation of apple cheeked women in my family to do so. She'll be 2 in 18 days. Love your aprons. Using is always better than storing our treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I own a lot of aprons, but I never wear them. Instead I wear old shirts of my dad's, like my art smock from kindergarten!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely aprons! I still have some of my grandmother's ones that I use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't wear an apron! But I do
    own a vintage red gingham checked
    one with neat x stitching on it.
    Love your "springy" photo of the
    pastel aprons...lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a whole stash of vintage aprons that I've been thinking about displaying in my laundry room. I need to get on that!! Beautiful picture...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a stack of vintage aprons too...aren't they fun to collect :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those aprons hanging together are so pretty and old-fashioned looking! There is really nothing much more feminine than wearing a pretty apron and working happily away in the kitchen!
    ~emily

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely aprons-I totally agree about using vintage treasures, it just makes everyday special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly Darling: One of my favorite things was when you set up a (very) small clothes line in our kitchen window where you could hang aprons, instead of having a curtain. I thought that was so cool. It was a window that did not receive direct sunlight, so your aprons did not fade. They were so, I don't know, homey, so welcoming, and so much exactly like you, and perfect for us. And you changed them from time to time, just for fun. I enjoy that about you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely gingham aprons, is that chicken scratch on some of them?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful! So cool and refreshing looking. I make and sell aprons and will soon by selling some from my blogsite. Your blog is cute also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have some vintage aprons...but I don't wear them. I don't want to mess them up....go figure!

    Yours are very cute. I purchased a blue gingham one almost like the one in your picture just yesterday at a thrift shop. I thought it was a great find.

    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too love old aprons, I have started wearing one that belonged to my Mothrt in law. I remember when she made it and how much care she took to make sure it was sewed perfectly.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How beautiful they look on your line. I use a clothesline too!
    I have only started wearing aprons and I'm pretty neurotic about it. I don't want to get food on them!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also have both new and vintage aprons. However, I have not been wearing them lately.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Someone likes gingham! I own two aprons and don't wear either - one a vintage Christmas bib apron; the other a half cherries one. I think I'd better start wearing the cherries! I like to use my vintage items, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What darling aprons on the line! No, I don't wear them but yes, I am getting more interested in them. I don't cook but it would be fun to wear them to clean, or I've seen some fashionistas wearing them over jeans. Hmmm, new statement?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do love aprons. I wear them quite often now that I make them and have them hanging on a peg rack in my kitchen. The reminder that they are available makes them often worn by myself as well as others visiting. -- Michele

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have not worn an apron since I was a teen, and that was quite a few years ago. Thanks for sharing. Happy VTT Day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cute post today! I know you know I don't want to wear a apron in the kitchen...but for blogging? Well, that is an idea! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cute post! I currently have one white with blue toile apron hanging on a hook in the kitchen. It is more for looks. For me to look at! I put it on if I'm wearing something nice while I cook. I'm usually wearing something not so nice while I cook. Oh that sounded wrong. I'm not wearing something naughty but somehing like sweat pants. No apron for blogging. Maybe I hould consider it if I'm reading a cooking blog!
    Very cute apron!

    Kathy b

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post. I just love aprons. I have a gingham green almost identical to your blue one. I only wear one to blog if I'm cooking at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are too sweet! Thank you so much for advertising my apron. I am on Apronista also - are we friends yet on there? Your site is colorful and cheery, exactly what I love. I like the idea using as apron as a curtain. I'll have to see if I can arrange that in my kitchen :) Blessings. Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love to "see" aprons...especially the old ones, and my mother always wore them. I cook at lot, but I never wear one. My girlfriend always wears vintage ones.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is great--love the interaction. I wear my old favorite apron all day mostly. I am intrigued with the little white one. Valentine's Day is coming up. This was a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love aprons! They are just fun and cute to wear. They make some really great ones now too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't wear aprons much. But I do have several of my grandma's for keepsake and I do apron swaps in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just loved reading all the comments about aprons. Vintage aprons bring back such warm and special memories. There is just something about them that makes me feel all cozy inside...I have one almost identical to the turquoise one!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog, Kelly. You are right, I saw Dillon's little smile about to burst out too...he even held back against my tickling him!

    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Another delightful post..and i love the close-up detail on that first apron! Think i might even be tempted to started wearing one from my collection heheheee :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. i havent worn my one and only apron as of yet because i dont wanna mess it up.

    im new to all this cooking and cleaning stuff.

    its extra cutie though, made by my mom's best friend..so its kinda special.

    maybe ill get over it..

    probably not.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great post-love the embroidery on your gingham and the new aprons you showed...too cute.
    While I wear an apron in the kitchen (alas, not vintage), I don't usually wear one while blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh my goodness. What lovely words from your John. Swoon, swoon you lucky woman you. How endearing, how absolutely divine that he sees YOU in the little things you do.
    It really is a lovely apron, I love gingham. And thanks for tellin the world how neurotic I am :) I have a feeling they may have figured it out already.
    Thanks so much for the shout out! It's a darling little apron that he INSISTS I serve him a meal in.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your aprons and I always wear one when I'm in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love aprons. My daughter bought me one for my birthday, it is a black and white polkadot apron with a darling little frill along the bottom, so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  35. That's a gorgeous gingham apron! I don't wear aprons, but I do enjoy sewing them. I've bought some vintage apron patterns and have been making some out of re-purposed vintage fabrics and lots of rick rack - so much fun!

    ReplyDelete