Saturday, January 31, 2009

The Best of Gifts

Last Monday, I shamelessly announced that it was my birthday. It was a good birthday. We had big family plans for dinner at a favorite seafood restaurant, Red Lobster. Well, it is the closest to good seafood I can find in the Ozarks. Although, honestly, I really want to walk into this particular restaurant, be seated and ask for a Diet Coke and a huge plate of their biscuits. They frown upon that. Our plans were waylaid when it started to sleet around three in the afternoon. By four, the grandparents were struggling to get into the driveway. Their car tires spun and the car veered toward the neighbors lawn. It was at this time we decided my birthday dinner would need to be postponed. John and Libby announced that birthday presents would have to wait as well. What? You have got to be kidding me! Fortunately, they were just joking and John whipped up a special birthday dinner of French toast. We managed to traverse snow and ice Wednesday evening and I had a wonderful meal and lots of great company. Not all of the kids could be there, but there have been rumors and murmurs about an extended celebration coming up this week. Am I lucky, or what?

I just can’t help but share the wonderful gifts my family gave me. I am overwhelmed with their love and thoughtfulness. I am truly the luckiest mom, wife, sister and daughter I know. John and I love a good romance (chick flick) movie. We have quite a collection, You’ve Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, Roxanne, etc. For my birthday, he gave me Never Been Kissed. This movie has the best last lines of any romance film. No, you have to watch to hear it for yourself. I wouldn’t want to give away the ending.
I then opened a gift bag that contained this picture.
A photo of a light bulb and a box. It was a good thing that I was sitting down, because, to be honest, I am a little slow and I might have become worn out from the exhaustive mental game of trying to figure out what the light bulb plus the box meant. You know, light plus box, light plus box, light box, liiiigghhhtttboooxxxx. Oh! Wow! Plus the photo. So, phootttoooliiggghhtboxxxx! Yes! He built me one of these. I about fainted with excitement; however, now I am aware that there is more pressure for better photography on the blog.
My dear sweet brother gave me Alicia Paulson’s book.
My mom and dad, who are antique hunters from way back found two pieces of my transfer ware pattern that I had never even seen. A sandwich plate and a soup bowl. They are so pretty and a welcome addition to my collection which I use for my everyday dishes. I love the Americana scenes and the brilliant shades of blue.
They also gave me this. This is a beautiful book.
I am going to make this.And, this.And, this.At least.

The last gift I opened was an amazing surprise. Just imagine, me, forty six years old, ripping through white paper stitched with red thread, to find a gift that made me squeal with delight. No kidding. Everyone, I would like you to meet Molly.
Isn’t she wonderful? The perfect gift for a girl like me. I used to look like Molly, long hair, plaited on either side of my head, and glasses. The end of my braids would sweep the playground when I hung upside down on the jungle gym. A memorable birthday.
Think back over the years, the parties, the cakes. Which birthday gift has made you squeal?

7 comments:

  1. Oh how sweet! I'm so glad that you had a wonderful birthday!

    I also love the biscuits at Red Lobster! :)

    And great gifts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all your gifts...I got Julie Albright for Christmas last year and I was so excited. I even went down with my girls to the American Girl Store in Chicago. It was so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow, what an awesome haul! I can just hardly wait to hear what you get at 50! :-) Now regarding the professional photo booth there, now I know why mine look so schleppy compared to others. Problem is; I never have a space big enough to be left open for such use. hmmm....
    I love your blog! I'm sure we'd be friends in real life. Thanks for your comments lately, which led me here to find you. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday! When I have my next birthday would you please tell your family? They give awesome gifts!! Love the photo of the lightbulb and box; so clever! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What awesome birthday gifts, so glad you were spoilt rotten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Kelly, did you ever receive some fabulous birthday gifts! I am jealous. I want a lightbox! Happy happy Birthday to you!

    And I loved all the apron comments. So fun!

    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun, Happy Birthday! I would also have been excited about the Molly doll. She's adorable (And was a perfect photo holder!)

    ReplyDelete