Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Super Seventeen

Lydia is now seventeen years old. She is beautiful and smart, really smart. The younger girls adore her and she is a wonderful role model. We are so proud of her. It won't be long before big name colleges are knocking on her door.
What Lydia is not is girlie. I know, because she tells me this and reminds me regularly that she is not girlie but I am girlie. She likes to bake and is becoming a pretty good chef. This year for her birthday, I made her an apron and a toque. Being not girlie, Lydia is a bit camera shy and I considered it a great compliment that she was willing to model her gift and let her dad take her picture. Her eyes were closed in both picutres, so this is the cute visor Libby created for her. Libby's work is in high demand these days.

Her apron is made from RJR Fabrics' Farmers Market, and a great white on black polka-dot from Mary Englebreit. The third fabric is a pretty green that coordinates with the ric rac - not girlie in any way. See?
I downloaded the pattern for the toque for free here and purchased the apron pattern here. I had to model this myself. Trust me, she looks far more adorable.
We had a birthday salad bar and meatball lunch followed by cupcakes. Really big cupcakes! Instead of decorated cakes for birthdays this year, we are focusing on fun cupcakes. I found a great white on orange big polka-dot fabric to make a table topper for the dining room table. Last year, I made seventy inch round tablecloths for each of the girls' birthdays. This a good deal of work for something that may only be used a few times. This year, I am going to cover the table with my basic tablecloths and then add an appropriate topper. It looked great.
Cupcakes are perfectly proportioned. There is just enough frosting and just enough cake. When I do not have time to make cake from scratch, I use the French Vanilla mix from Duncan Hines. This mix bakes up light and airy without being dry. The flavor is wonderful and seems to satisfy everyone. Lydia's cupcakes were appropriately polka-dotted! Orange on white.

5 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Muffin,very delicate :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh...those cupcakes are delightful and I just love the apron. What a lucky birthday girl!
    Your photos are so beautiful. What kind of camera do you use?

    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a Happy Birthday celebration. Were did you find te little strianer......so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I am so darn jealous of women who can sew, and you are very creative to boot! I adore the apron. Those fabric combinations are inspired, and that has got to be the freshest toque I've ever seen. You should definitely sport that when cooking for big family occasions.

    ReplyDelete