Thursday, November 13, 2008

We have lost our home...

We are not financial gurus. In fact, we are an English major and a Communication major and when I woke up this morning, my heart beating far too fast, my head far too drowsy, I realized that there was no way to talk or write our way out of our current situation.

Two weeks ago my landlord e-mailed me stating that he was considering filing a bankruptcy that may impact us, his renters. Over the course of the next couple of weeks, he tried hard to convince me to buy this house. I should have been suspicious.

We like our house, although it is a bit small. It has wonderfully deep moldings, imperfect hardwood floors, a claw foot bathtub and even a couple of stained glass windows. It fits my personality much better than our family. I just renewed the lease in September.

The landlord is convinced that although we are currently functioning minus half of our salary because the economic culture dictated a layoff for us this past year, we could certainly afford to buy this house. Did I mention the house needs a new sewer line? We are not interested.

In an effort to find out what is going on with our house, I called the bank that holds the note. The landlord was kind enough to offer the contact information in hopes that we would buy. The banker was loose lipped and let me know that the house was already forty days into the foreclosure process.

I was stunned. In true academic style, I became best friends with my laptop and did some research. What I found was not good news, but there is some comfort in knowing that I am not alone. Frankly, a good deal of people are far worse off than we are even though it does not feel that way right now. I found this, and this, and this, and this, and so much more that I shrink from linking you, because it is certainly depressing.

If you are an optimist you are likely wondering what good could come of this. And, I suppose for my own sanity I should scribe the positive here in order to survive what is to come.

  1. Friends have swarmed with offers of places to live, pick up trucks, muscle, and great empathy. Thank you.
  2. Since this has happened to us before, just over a year ago, I still have many things packed in boxes.
  3. Because I immediately took charge, as is my controlling nature, I found a house We are gaining four rooms a laundry room, game room, sewing room and John and I will now have an office.
  4. A very kind lawyer gave me free advice today - move. Ask for the deposit you will not likely see. Combined with moving expenses, it will be a good amount of money.
  5. My children and husband thinks the basketball goal in the backyard seals the deal.
  6. I gave up a claw foot tub, but now have a jetted tub. Not as much charm, but worth the loss maybe.
  7. We are moving Thanksgiving weekend. I can't cook. Sorry, Mom.
  8. We will not be homeless. I had just enough money to make the new deposit.
  9. I am highly educated in renter's rights.
I wish I had time to make a moving apron.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. You are very luck though to be so smart to find out those other things and get out now before it could get worse. Much luck to you and your family. My heart goes out to you.

    It is horrible what is happening all across the country to a lot of people who are losing their houses for one reason or another. We have 2 houses being foreclosed on in our court and several more in our neighborhood.

    We can only hope that our nation and economy will be on the rise and things will turn around soon. Of course it won't be soon enough for a lot of people who will lose everything in the meanwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! You have my deepest sympathies! Please keep us posted. I LOVE your blog and have bookmarked it and with your permission would like to add it to my blog roll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great attitude! I'm so glad you took things into your own hands and have a plan in place. It's an awful time of year to go through this, especially since it's already happened once, but you'll be in place for Christmas, and it sounds like a great new home. I'd take a jetted tub over a clawfoot anyday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that you are in this situation but am glad that you have found a new home and hopefully it will work well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry for all you have been through but as you know I see alot of people daily that are faced with similar situations, now that I Run a crisis center. Most are not as lucky as you: Wonderful husband, loving family and friends, and a great attitude. You will come through this with awesome grace and poise showing the kids what a dignified family they have. I miss you so and wish you the best.
    Desiree'

    ReplyDelete