Friday, July 4, 2008

Pink, white and blue?


As planned, today was a quiet Fourth of July celebration - the non-traditional route this year. Aubrey and I both wore red, white and blue, but we did not eat burgers, potato salad, and corn on the cob. We did not go to the humongous, eighty thousand people expected fireworks display. We did not spend a fortune on fireworks which not only scare us (especially this California native) but are illegal in the city limits and we do live right downtown. We did have a fun day.

Aubrey's things to do list included...

1. Mall (a given)
2. Finger chains
3. Fireworks shopping
4. Thrifting
5. Bowling
6. Card game
7. Plan F D Bd P (code for plan Daddy's birthday party)


This is a fair list that includes a few over the top expensive leave town sorts of activities. Ten year olds figure that it never hurts to ask. The version Aubrey and I deemed as reasonable for the day is the one posted here. Aubrey called Uncle Dan and Papa and they met us at the bowling alley for a two game match. Aubrey had a great time. The two of us bowled with pink bowling balls and Aubrey improved ten fold over the short time bowling where I bowled as usual - badly. There are three things you should know about me and bowling. 1. I have great form. 2. I bowl badly. 3. I am consistent in bowling badly - even though I completed a college PE course in bowling. Hey, I earned the A by bringing the coffee every morning. A girl has got to do what a girl has got to do.

After a holiday Chinese dinner with Papa, Uncle Dan and Mimi, we headed home to play cards and throw snappers on the walk outside to here the pops and watch the tiny flashes. It was enough and it was safe. John surprised Aubrey with a new deck of playing cards. These cards are not only pink, but transparent. We played a very long game of Garbage and, of course, Aubrey was the victor. She wins a lot. She taught us to play.

We will continue to work on her list tomorrow. We miss the other girls and are counting the days until they return. I hope you all had a good holiday and a restful weekend ahead.

1 comment:

  1. I love your recipes and stories about your daily life. I am presenting you with a blog award. Please stop by and pick it up!

    ReplyDelete